• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should this teacher be fired?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The city Department of Education has failed to fire a teacher rated “unsatisfactory” for six consecutive years. Ann Legra, 44, a first-grade teacher at PS 173 in Washington Heights, racked up “six years of failing her students,” the city *argued in a 16-day termination hearing.

Teacher keeps job despite ‘unsatisfactory’ rating 6 years in a row | New York Post
I don't see why its so hard to fire a teacher like this. She has been absent 27 times and late 37 times in the school year 2012-2013. Her class is reported to be not well supervised, a assistant principle said he found her class in chaos.

Teachers like this should always be fired I don't care if they do have ten year. Our children's future depends on good teachers. Kids don't learn anything under teachers like this.

Now get this, she is paid $84,000 a year and she is suing claiming discrimination.

Thoughts?

Doc_Fearless

Registered Member
Not to defend this teacher, but I have a very good friend who is a high school teacher and I have had extensive talks with her about policies, unions and general regard for teaching staffs vs administrators.

First there is the teachers association unions, which I am sure the teacher in the article is a member of. They apply allot of pressure on school systems for more pay, more benefits or what have you. Most school systems negotiate more time off for teachers, vacation/sick days. My friend who has been teaching for 12 years on paper could take the next 4 years off with pay due to this. BUT school boards do not tolerate it. My friends policy says if you take 3 days off per year a doctors note is required or you will be marked as "unsatisfactory" and face possible termination. So even though my friend has 4 years worth of sick time/vacation time, it can never be used without losing her job.

Basically it's just a smoke screen school systems use on unions. Unions know they do it, but Union agreements are superseded by school board policy, it's even worded that way in my friends contract. So the entire union - school system relationship is nothing more than smoke and mirrors making it appear you have much more than you do but teachers are required to join the unions. It's politics at it's finest.

Now, I am not saying this case has anything to do with any of that, but school systems tend to make it seem like they are doing something good for the kids or parents when in fact it is to benefit the school system and that includes cutting higher paid teachers so administrators can get that raise they have been wanting but budget cuts do not allow. Most school systems have "Business Managers" now whose job it is to find money within the school systems own structure. Bottom line is after 12 years of teaching my good friend can tell you for sure school systems and teachers unions anymore are nothing but a political cesspools of broken promises and word trickery designed to make administrators richer while the children suffer. BTW the Principal at my friends school makes almost $250,000 a year. Average teachers salary is $70,000 a year. Support staff average salary (bus drivers/janitorial/cafeteria workers) $19,000 per year. Remember these people only work 180 days a year unlike most people. Whoever said teachers were underpaid must have been on crack.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not to defend this teacher, but I have a very good friend who is a high school teacher and I have had extensive talks with her about policies, unions and general regard for teaching staffs vs administrators.

First there is the teachers association unions, which I am sure the teacher in the article is a member of. They apply allot of pressure on school systems for more pay, more benefits or what have you. Most school systems negotiate more time off for teachers, vacation/sick days. My friend who has been teaching for 12 years on paper could take the next 4 years off with pay due to this. BUT school boards do not tolerate it. My friends policy says if you take 3 days off per year a doctors note is required or you will be marked as "unsatisfactory" and face possible termination. So even though my friend has 4 years worth of sick time/vacation time, it can never be used without losing her job.

Basically it's just a smoke screen school systems use on unions. Unions know they do it, but Union agreements are superseded by school board policy, it's even worded that way in my friends contract. So the entire union - school system relationship is nothing more than smoke and mirrors making it appear you have much more than you do but teachers are required to join the unions. It's politics at it's finest.

Now, I am not saying this case has anything to do with any of that, but school systems tend to make it seem like they are doing something good for the kids or parents when in fact it is to benefit the school system and that includes cutting higher paid teachers so administrators can get that raise they have been wanting but budget cuts do not allow. Most school systems have "Business Managers" now whose job it is to find money within the school systems own structure. Bottom line is after 12 years of teaching my good friend can tell you for sure school systems and teachers unions anymore are nothing but a political cesspools of broken promises and word trickery designed to make administrators richer while the children suffer. BTW the Principal at my friends school makes almost $250,000 a year. Average teachers salary is $70,000 a year. Support staff average salary (bus drivers/janitorial/cafeteria workers) $19,000 per year. Remember these people only work 180 days a year unlike most people. Whoever said teachers were underpaid must have been on crack.
I think at one time teachers were underpaid but it doesn't sound like to me teachers are underpaid at all anymore. I wonder if that is what most teachers and principles make. If so they are well paid for working 180 days a year.

4 years off is a ridiculous amount of time. I don't know of any company that would let you accumulate that much time.

Which in some schools you probably should get combat pay. $70,000 a year is a good salary but not enough to put up with getting beat up by students.

This teacher however doesn't sound like she does much for her pay. Don't need a teacher that lets the students run wild in the classroom or that misses this many days.
------
Pathetic, but not surprising. It's what people put up with so it's what they ask for.

- Cham
I agree its pathetic but I don't think people ask for it.

Last edited:

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Where are the picket signs and petitions? Where's the outcry for Education reform? Where's the chipping away at the gluttonous union supported bureaucracy by parents and citizens in general? What society tolerates, society condones. It's all fine because taxpayers apparently don't mind being fleeced while simultaneously being provided substandard everything. I guess it's okay. These union and school board fat cats certainly seem to think so. Stories like these come and go and nothing ever comes of it, so why shouldn't they think so? Nobody cares and this much has pretty much been statistically proven. It's just another story for the gossip machine. Yawn.

- Cham