• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should the victims of bullying be punished?

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
First, an article:

A four-year-old boy has tried his best to deal with a school bully who has bloodied him four times in the last three months.

But after arriving home last Wednesday with a nasty bite mark courtesy of his tormentor, also four years old, Julian Atkinson was too scared to return to his junior kindergarten class at St. John Vianney in Rexdale.

His mother, Zoe Atkinson, 26, doesn’t blame him.

“I’ve exhausted every avenue I can think of to resolve this,” the single mom said. “It’s just not fair.”

On at least three occasions the bully has pushed Julian onto his face causing him to split his lip, scrape his chin and even cut his eye area, Atkinson said. The last time the other boy also “shoved rocks down his pants.”

Then last week, while on the bus going from school to daycare, the bully allegedly bit Julian in his shoulder, breaking the skin through his winter coat.

“This kid if torturing my son,” Atkinson said.

Julian has tried avoiding the other boy, he’s even given him his stickers hoping they could be friends if he was “extra nice to him.”

But nothing has worked.

[...]

After the latest incident the school’s solution was to switch Julian to another class, Atkinson said.

But she doesn’t want him to lose the friends he’s made in the first few months of his academic career.

Toronto lawyer Sandra Zisckind, who has defended victims in other bullying cases, said moving Julian to another class would be like punishing him.

“The focus needs to be on the victim and keeping him safe,” she said. “Not blaming the victim or singling them out for being victimized.

[...]

Mary Walker, a spokesman for the Toronto Catholic District School Board, said it’s a difficult situation.

“We have to protect the confidentiality of everybody involved in this, including the other child and that family,” Walker said, adding it takes time to work through the problem but “age is a big factor.”
Four-year-old scared of school bully | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

"Protect the confidentiality of everybody involved," yet the only name published is that of the victim. :urp:

I understand our rationale behind all of this; after all, the big, strong, and ethically retarded are far better suited for survival in an unfair world, and the small, intellectual types are holding us back with all their sissy ideas about climate change and world peace. No really, I get it; we're trying to systematically breed out all those pesky genes that make intelligence and innovation a necessity for survival. I only wish we'd stop beating around the bush about it. We need to implement formal punishments for the victims of bullying immediately. It is an affront to humanity that these children are allowed to go about their business without being called out on a national scale. We need to send a clear message to the world that says "It is NOT okay to be a victim of bullying!"

Why not make being a victim a capital, or at least corporeal, offense? I mean, I understand that forcing suicides in the long term is superbly efficient in terms of government resources, but doing it by our own hand will achieve our goals so much faster!

This is not to be taken literally, as I know someone out there will, but frankly, it may as well be the position we take. I'm tired seeing a constant stream of "we are powerless to do anything about it." We've created a system of governance wherein our children have more power to control the world than we do, and it is disgusting. If we cannot go after the behaviour of children (which is understandable), go after the behaviour of the parents. At four years old, the parents are still morally culpable for their childrens' behaviour, and I think they should be legally culpable as well. At the very least we should not be taking away the rights and privileges of the victim.

At least, that's my take on the matter. What's yours?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
My take is very much like yours. It's disgusting how we as a society deal with bullies. We need to find ways of dealing with bullies and their parents and making them more accountable. And I agree, this kid shouldn't be moved out of his class, the bully should be removed from the school at all.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
That's completely ridiculous and unacceptable. Protect the confidentiality of the bully? To what end? To make it safe for him to go on bullying other kids? Completely unacceptable. The kid who is doing the bullying and his family need to be held accountable.

My friend's kid got kicked out of day care for biting other kids excessively. And rightly so. Who is going to send their kid somewhere that they can't be confident that the child will be reasonably safe?

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
The bully will only move on to another frightened child... The way they solve this to me is foolish to penalize the victim. If it can be proven this bully is picking on others, by eyewitness of teachers/bus driver, then it is the bully who should be penalized and either removed from this class or because this is junior Kindergarten, expelled all together until his attitude either by his parents or social workers can be changed.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
The BULLY should be the one moved to another class. His mother should have put her foot down and insisted that her son not be pulled from his friends just because some other kid was bullying him. I was bullied in school and they were going to move me to another class, just like this. Well my parents said absolutely not and demanded that the bully be moved instead. The school agreed due to the pressure put on them and that punk was embarrassed by being forced to go to another class.

It should also be noted that in this case, the bully somewhat cleaned up his act after this as well. As far as I know he didn't really cause problems for other people after that but I'm not positive.

Last edited:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
It should also be noted that in this case, the bully somewhat cleaned up his act after this as well. As far as I know he didn't really cause problems for other people after that but I'm not positive.
Regardless, the important thing here is that he never caused any more problems for you!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Regardless, the important thing here is that he never caused any more problems for you!
Well the other point is that he basically got his world rocked a bit and I'm sure his parents took the situation more seriously after that happened to him.

The real solution is for the parents of the bullies to step in and punish these bullies. Too many parents nowadays treat their kids as "friends" and are afraid of hurting that relationship by disciplining their brat kids.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
The BULLY should be the one moved to another class. His mother should have put her foot down and insisted that her son not be pulled from his friends just because some other kid was bullying him..
I totally agree with this. Why move the victim if not the bully?

Also, what does it mean "age" is a big factor? It doesn't matter what his age is. Regardless of that the bully should pay for what he's doing.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Well the other point is that he basically got his world rocked a bit and I'm sure his parents took the situation more seriously after that happened to him.

The real solution is for the parents of the bullies to step in and punish these bullies. Too many parents nowadays treat their kids as "friends" and are afraid of hurting that relationship by disciplining their brat kids.
Which is exactly why I think the parents should be held legally responsible for the consistent misbehaviour of a young child. At this point, nobody is considered responsible for a child's actions, and it's why bullying is becoming such an issue in the first place.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
When I was a kid, it was brutal. If I got bullied, and told a teacher, I was just told 'go and talk to him and work it out!' uhhh....what? Yah, I really wanna get somewhere near the 2 or 3 kids that decided to gang up on me and chant taunts and push me in the snow. Yes, the teacher's plan is SO gonna work. So, I retaliate against the kids instead, in an attempt to make them stop, and then I get in crap for retaliating and they still get off scott free. Meanwhile, if the teachers would actually man up, and just go stick those kids in detention or something, or actually watch the playground and see this stuff in action and stop it, then the bullies might actually learn.

I've always felt that parents and teachers nowadays spend WAY too much time on the victims of bullying and not enough time addressing the bullies themselves. Whether it be discipline, counselling, deterrence etc. They just waste all their time teaching the victims methods to deal with the bullies that don't work. Its nothing the victim does that causes them to be bullied, it's all the bully's doing.