Should the NCAA Tournament be expanded to 96 teams?

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm surprised we haven't had a discussion regarding this topic yet. So I'm sure if you follow College Basketball then you probably heard the rumors about the NCAA maybe wanting 96 teams in the March Madness.

Do you believe this is a good idea or a bad idea?

Debate.

2. Sigurd

Sigurd Internet Dig Dug

I do not believe that the field should be expanded. There would be practically no bubble teams as the current bubble teams would be pretty much in, and the new version of bubble teams that would be put in if the field was expanded would be some slack teams that could barely beat a D-II team. It would also make it a lot more drawn out, and the first round of games would feature teams that we really done care for.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

It's a horrible idea. I've seen polls, and typically about 90% of the participants are against the idea. That's a pretty big majority. There is one reason and one reason only for the NCAA to expand the tournament, and that reason is money.

Nobody can tell me that they're expanding so they can include 32 more teams deserving of playing for a championship. These 32 teams will mostly be made up of power conference bottom feeders, like North Carolina this year. The regular season will be completely pointless.

If they NCAA thinks there are 96 teams worthy of playing for a national championship, then how can they possibly defend the BCS for college football?

4. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Maybe one of the worst ideas in a long history of terrible ideas. I think it'll somehow pass too, which is the sad part.

I mean why have a regular season? Everyone who's anyone is playing for the championship in his format.

If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

That's way to many teams in my opinion.

I always liked the idea of four play-in games, but personally I don't think it should be for the 16 seed. Whatever crappy mid-major that barely eeked out a conference tourney win deserves to be there. Using this year for an example, I would love to see teams like Florida and Illinois battle it out for the 13 or 14 seed.

This way, the No. 1 seeds still earn their right of playing well all year to play the worst teams in the first round, mid-majors that win their tourneys still get to dance, and teams that otherwise might get screwed get a chance to show they're worth a chance.

Everybody wins!