Should the bible be read in English classes from a nonreligious perspective?

Reading the Bible in English class?

• Total voters

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I got this thread from another forum, thought that it could create some interesting conversation on GF. Since we all know religion is always a fun topic to discuss :lol:

The bible is the seminal document of western civilization. Its stories are the basis of, or are referenced in, countless other works for the last thousands of years. Furthermore, the bible and its interpretation are important aids to understanding the history of "christendom" as it used to be known.

In this case, it would be read in a nonreligious perspective: God would be a character, and would be a supremely powerful being and moral authority only in the setting of the book, which would not be taught as a factual history. Ideally, a minimal amount of time, none if possible, would be spent discussing the truth of the matter.

So, what do you think? Other than the fact that the bible is too long to read in its entirety in one class, of course.
Please vote in the poll.

Danno

Registered Member
No, simply because it is time that would be wasted when more important things in the English class could be getting taught.

I dont think that the Bible can be read in a non-religious perspective. If my kid told me this was happening at school, I would still feel my child was having Christianity forced on him/her.

konboye

Registered Member
I'm a Christian, let it be know. I don't even think God will want that, just saying, because He is fully in support of free will. He wants us all to be able to decide and make our own choices regardless. Just for that, it shouldn't be imposed on those that don't want to hear from it if there weren't in that class.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I disagree that it would be time wasted and I think it would be very useful from an educational perspective, even more so that say Beowulf. That being said I don't think it should be used because of the danger of indoctrination and there would be some that would use it to push their agenda.

Raos

Registered Member
I dont think that the Bible can be read in a non-religious perspective. If my kid told me this was happening at school, I would still feel my child was having Christianity forced on him/her.
For as much as I disagree with you on your views of Muslims, I agree with you 100% on your statement above.

I do not think it should be read in school. I would not be up in arms if it was, but I think there is a time and place for everything and religious schools/places of worship are where religious books like the bible should be taught and read. Yes it is an important book in the terms of literature and in general, not just for religion, but it is impossible to separate the religion out of it when being taught. I am not saying that nothing of value could be gained from it being studied regardless of what religion you are, but there are plenty of other texts that do not get studied because there are just too many to get to them all. Leave the religious ones to the religious schools for those who choose to study them.

Andred373

Registered Member
I have no problem with the Bible being read in an English class. It is one of the most maligned books in the world and yet it is still a best seller. Often people attack the book as experts and yet they have never read it.
Portions of the book such as Psalms contain very good poetry especially if you are looking at construction and content. Proverbs on the other hand has some very wise advice and is applicable to anyone who reads it.
If you can read Darwin The origin of The Species then why not read another perspective as well?

Daemonic

Registered Member
No, you will have people that think reading it in a non religious way is offensive, some that will get offended they have to read it. You will have many that view it as religious anyway, push those beliefs in the class, and attack those that read it just as a book. I would almost be willing to bet you would even have some teachers judging certain students negatively just because they are viewing it as only a book.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I think you say "English class" as in an American school would teach, and I would say no.

If it were meant as in "English class" here in Estonia, it would be a definite NO and even illegal.

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
I would have to go with no, not that I don't think students wouldn't be able to learn anything from "olden english" dialect, or however you call it. But you know there's going to be that one, just the one asshole kid who's gonna spit out some hate against religion and start a whole firestorm in class that'll offend some believers of the religion.

I'm a firm believe that religion should be taken outside of the learning and working environment, less of a hassle.

~Shwa

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I disagree that it would be time wasted and I think it would be very useful from an educational perspective, .
Would you say the same thing if Q'uran had to be read in English classes, just like the Bible?

I strongly oppose the reading of Bible in any class. No religious book should be read in whatever class other than in the religion's class.
There are many ways to learn English, there's no need to include any religious book.