• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should teachers have so much job protection?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Teachers union officials denounced a ruling Tuesday by a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge deeming job protections for teachers in California as unconstitutional as a misguided attack on teachers and students.

The ruling represents a major loss for the unions and a groundbreaking win by attorneys who argued that state laws governing teacher layoffs, tenure and dismissals harm students by making them more likely to suffer from grossly ineffective instruction.

Ruling on teacher job security is an attack on students, unions say-Los Angeles Times
After teachers receive tenure its really hard to fire them unless they are doing something really bad. I'm wondering if this is a mistake. If they are ineffectual as teachers and your kids aren't learning anything from them I don't think they should be protected from being fired.

I'm not against any job security for them or unions for that matter but if they are proven to be bad teachers they should be replaced. This could be part of the problem as to why the US is lagging behind other countries in education.

Thoughts?

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
The teachers union is like any other special interest group. They fight to help those paying the dues, so that does not include the students. They've made it hard to fire teachers because that gives them more power. It's wrong. If a teacher is bad, they should be able to be fired more easily, just like anywhere else. But as it stands they have to almost be involved in some crazy scandal these days for it to even be a discussion of whether or not they deserve to keep their job.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with you Van, it takes a scandal to get them fired. That's not fair to our kids. If they are ineffective as a teacher they need to go. Maybe then our nation wouldn't lag so far behind other countries when it comes to education.

I realize you can't force a kid to learn anything. Kids with low IQ's aren't going to be stellar students but when you have reasonably smart kids that can't tell you who George Washington was or some other well known historical fact there is something wrong.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've had teachers be fired mid semester before and it was darn hard to accomplish.

In one case it was a chemistry teacher that used to teach in St Louis. She was terrible. Literally discriminatory to minority groups and she spoke to an Asian friend of mine as if he was retarded. A Mexican girl also got into big trouble for some very minor talking in class.

To put this into perspective, I took apart the classroom phone all the way and put it back together and she didn't think anything of it.

It took a lot I work to get her fired.

In another case I had a terrible math teacher for 3 years. He knew his stuff but couldn't begin to teach it. He never did get fired but he still can't teach.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I had a principle one time that was literally nuts. He should have been let go as soon as he showed signs of it. He use to sit in his office and listen to recordings of the sounds of trains. They didn't though instead they waited until the end of the year to get rid of him and in the meantime male students were knocked to the floor and kicked. One father came to the school after he attacked his son and punched him a few times. He wasn't such a big man against another adult male.

Must have had a contract or something is the reason he wasn't let go before the end of the year. I think when they show violence tendencies contracts should be null and void.