Should situps be spaced out in the same manner as lifting weights?

Unity

Jedi Master
Staff member
I'm curious: should sit-ups be done every morning/evening, or should they be every day in the way we don't do weight lifting for arms two days in a row? Do the abdomen muscles need the same allocated growth times?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
For me it's always the last thing I'll do after working out. I usually take the medicine ball and do 100 sit ups without stopping, then I'll go to a free weight machine, tie a strap around my ankles, add 10 lbs lie down flat on the ground and do a set of fifteen(but I lift my legs instead of my upper body.

Afterwards I'll grab the "sit up bench"(I just call it that because I don't know the real name, it's where you can lie down on incline and wrap your legs around a pad) take a 45lbs weight and do as many sit-ups as I can(do three sets, one minute-two rest in between.)

Hopefully that wasn't very confusing, it's hard to write it down, then showing lol.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've heard that abdominal muscles recover a lot more quickly than other muscle groups and you can work them out pretty much everyday.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I've heard that abdominal muscles recover a lot more quickly than other muscle groups and you can work them out pretty much everyday.
When I compare my arms and ab muscles, this is true for me.

I do know some who'd do both daily without being sore. Maybe their body is used to it?

Unity

Jedi Master
Staff member
I've just wanted to work them into my routine when I'm at home. I do some workouts that work the area when I'm at the gym, but I think i could do more for the 'ol gut.

I could start at every other day to be safe, but I'll wait and see what others here have to say!

Gavik

Registered Member
1) If you're worried about ab fat, go running. Working your abs will only build muscle that pushes the fat further out. You won't get any definition either.

2) Sit-ups are way over rated. There are tons of better exercises to work your abs.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sit-ups are way over rated. There are tons of better exercises to work your abs.
I agree and disagree with you, I do about ten different ab excercises, but I do not think that sit-ups are over rated. If you do about 500 a day, 250 in the morning and 250 during the night on a day to day basis then you'll eventually get definition.

If you only do 50 a day it won't do much.

Unity

Jedi Master
Staff member
I agree and disagree with you, I do about ten different ab excercises, but I do not think that sit-ups are over rated. If you do about 500 a day, 250 in the morning and 250 during the night on a day to day basis then you'll eventually get definition.

If you only do 50 a day it won't do much.
Thanks for the input, Biz. Good to hear some numbers.

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.
"Basic sit-ups" as floor ones that you do are essential for at least toning the selected area that you're working out. I do agree they should be spaced out like BR has stated, just split them routine up by morning and night or just a couple of hundred.

Sit up's are easy itself, but depending on the kind you do to work out the abdominals, there are always strains the occure.

~Shwa