Should she be excused because she was raped?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Wade8813, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Woman Gets 13 Years for Leaving Baby to Die in Hyattsville

Should this woman's actions be excused because she's a rape victim?

This is one of the biggest arguments in the abortion controversy. It's often argued that a woman who was raped shouldn't have to suffer more because of it; and I admit, it's a pretty compelling argument.

But if the argument is valid for abortion, shouldn't it be just as valid in this instance?

*The purpose of this thread is about this woman's situation. I understand that the abortion debate will get discussed too - I just ask that you try to limit it to discussion about the rape argument in regards to abortion.*

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Nothing else should matter. This is a case where the baby was actually born, so I don't see how it's an abortion debate anyway. Adoption would have been a great move here.

3. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Do you excuse a man who kills the murderer of his wife? No. A person is responsible for his own actions not the actions of others upon you. You can't control what happens to you in this life, but you can control how you'll handle it.

4. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

In my opinion, 13 years isn't enough. There are other ways to deal with an unwanted baby; even a rape baby has rights if you choose to carry it to term.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

She's being punished (for 13 years in prison, without much chance to support her kids, which is her purpose being here in the first place) because of her rape.

One of the most common arguments for abortion is that we shouldn't force rape victims to go through any more suffering.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  6. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

If she would've just went and got an abortion, then this whole thing would've been avoided.

..but if you're going to keep the baby through pregnancy, have the decency to put it up for adoption, not put it in a garbage bag and die.

7. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

no, i don't think she should be excused. At all.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

Same for me...in my opinion she should get life. I think infant murder is one of the most despiciable things a person can do.

That says it all.

9. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

She's being punished because she's committed infanticide, which is worse than rape; it's not like a baby can scream "Help, I'm slowly suffocating in a garbage bag when I could have just as easily been placed into the adoption system!"

Abortion? Sure, maybe 7 or 8 months ago. Babies in garbage bags? No, I should think not.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  10. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Also, I don't think somebody who is truly Pro-Life can consider the argument valid for abortion. Either it is a life or it isn't. And if you believe it's a life then you should be able to conclude that it's a life regardless of conception circumstances, as unfortunate as they may be.