• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should server have to return tip?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
No, she's an at will employee. She has no legal recourse. IHop probably has or will hire her back because of the public perception of letting her go, but not because of any legal considerations.
Out of curiosity, how do you know? I didn't see that mentioned in the article unless I glanced past it. I can't imagine they'd have a decent reason to fire her that she wouldn't be able to fight.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Out of curiosity, how do you know? I didn't see that mentioned in the article unless I glanced past it. I can't imagine they'd have a decent reason to fire her that she wouldn't be able to fight.
Virginia is an at will state, which means so long as they didn't fire her for religious, racial, ethnicity, gender or essentially age or disability reasons they can fire her for any reason legally. Also the article quotes Steve Benjamin, the news station legal analyst, who confirms Virginia being an at-will state and nothing illegal was done.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Virginia is an at will state, which means so long as they didn't fire her for religious, racial, ethnicity, gender or essentially age or disability reasons they can fire her for any reason legally. Also the article quotes Steve Benjamin, the news station legal analyst, who confirms Virginia being an at-will state and nothing illegal was done.
That's actually kind of disturbing.

I'd still like to know what their reason was simply because I'd like to see the angle the company took on this.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I think it was petty of the server to keep the tip. It's one thing if the customer handed her a 20 instead of a 10 or something like that. But a writing error? If I were her, even as low as a $2 tip is, I'd have fixed the error.

As for why they fired her. I'm thinking it was to appease the customer. She was probably irate, and so they fired the employee to make sure the woman was satiated and wouldn't sue. Like CO, its possible they'll hire her back when the smoke clears a bit.