• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should server have to return tip?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Chanetrice Carter, a server at the Glen Allen, Virginia IHOP was overjoyed when she received a huge $200 tip, but never thought it would lead to her termination.

IHOP server says customer’s $200 tip got her fired
Apparently this big tip was a mistake and the customer only meant to leave $2.00 on a $25.76 tab. Personally I think that $2. is a rather cheap tip. However the customer wrote $200,00 on the recipe and because the server wouldn't give it back she was fired.

I was wondering if you think she should have to return this money and if its fair she was fired because she wouldn't?

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Typically you have to go off of the number that the total line says but that's entirely illegible though. The tip line does definitely read $200.00 though.

It sounds like this customer kind of sucks. To be quite honest, so long as the customer is the one that wrote $200 on there then that's the customers problem. Once you give someone a tip it's shameful to ask for it back regardless of whether or not it was a mistake. I mean, it's $200, it's not $2000, or $20000. $200 is a fairly minor mistake when you think about what could have happened.

And honestly a $2 tip? Even if the server sucked that's kind of low. You NEVER tip below 10% even if they're bad, that's just rude.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think she should have to return it either and its low of the customer to ask for it back. Since they were the one that wrote it on the recipe. I also think it stinks she was fired because she wouldn't give it back.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Sure a $2 tip is pretty cheap but customers don't have to tip at all. I would have given the money back, if a customer says it's a mistake I wouldn't want to keep it. Should she have to? No. Should she lose her job over it? That's a business decision that belongs to IHOP only.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I get that the customer made a mistake, perhaps that he couldn't afford to make. However, the slip does clearly show $200.00. At the very least, she really should not have lost her job over this.

That said, personally if I got that kind of tip, I would have asked the client if that was intentional. It's an IHOP. Safe to assume that the clientele there is not going to tip close to 100% of the meal cost. It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. I suspect she at least thought for a second that they made a mistake, but still continued with accepting the money.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree Idi, if I had seen that written on the receipt I would have asked the customer if it was a mistake. That I think she should have done. I don't think she should be fired over it though since it wasn't her mistake.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I get that the customer made a mistake, perhaps that he couldn't afford to make. However, the slip does clearly show $200.00. At the very least, she really should not have lost her job over this.

That said, personally if I got that kind of tip, I would have asked the client if that was intentional. It's an IHOP. Safe to assume that the clientele there is not going to tip close to 100% of the meal cost. It's not impossible, but it's very unlikely. I suspect she at least thought for a second that they made a mistake, but still continued with accepting the money.
That's a really good point, she should have asked the customer. I don't have a problem with her losing her job. While the mistake was the customers fault in the end they are in the customer service business. If not returning the money makes a customer unhappy and would result in a loss of business then those are the consequences.

Clare

Registered Member
The end of the article says she got offered her job back doesn't it? Anyway, I think she really should have given the money back.

It sounds like this customer kind of sucks. To be quite honest, so long as the customer is the one that wrote $200 on there then that's the customers problem. Once you give someone a tip it's shameful to ask for it back regardless of whether or not it was a mistake. I mean, it's $200, it's not $2000, or $20000. $200 is a fairly minor mistake when you think about what could have happened.
I get your point but at the same time I agree with idisrsly, we don't know who this customer is and maybe $200 isn't peanuts to him. I don't think he should be required to pay several times the cost of the meal. He should have been more careful but at the end of the day he only owes the restaurant $26.

As for the tip, I don't think it was outrageously low. Sure, ideally he would have tipped more, but he was only 60 cents off 10%.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't see what reason they'd have to fire her especially with the evidence overwhelmingly in her favor. I'm sure they probably offered her the job back (of course, after it became national news) because she'd probably win a lawsuit against them for wrongful termination if she tried. But that's just my guess.

The only thing that bugs me is isn't this sort of thing binding in some degree? I mean, what if the customer just decides to say, "actually, I didn't mean to tip anything, it's all a mistake", you know what I mean? I could see it being abused.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
No, she's an at will employee. She has no legal recourse. IHop probably has or will hire her back because of the public perception of letting her go, but not because of any legal considerations.