Should schools place more emphasis on classical languages?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Should classical languages such as Latin and Greek receive more attention from educational authorities? These languages have played an important role in Western history and influenced many modern languages (Romance languages in the case of Latin and scientific terms in the case of Greek).

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
Personally I don't see the point in doing so. Latin is almost a dead language.

In high school we could choose from Spanish, French or German because learning them would be helpful in certain situations. Greek? Latin? Almost pointless.

Unity

Sho.
Staff member
I think they should be available...Latin was available at another school similar to the one Millz and I went to (my brother taught it there a couple of years before I started high school, even) and it appealed to me.

I think if the kids have a desire to embrace a certain language because they know they're interested in history, they should have that choice. I agree with Millz that practical choices will be the most useful (should include Chinese and Indian now, too!) but I think all choices should be available when possible.

Dabs

Registered Member
Only if there might be a huge demand for them....and then I only see that happening in high schools...not in the lower grades.
Most students I know now, bitch about having to learn Spanish~

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
My alma mater had Latin courses (and I took one). It still has value today, it teaches you about the importance of classical history and language. Latin may not be spoken today, but it is still important in some careers such as medicinal and anatomical areas.

AnnaBabyx

Registered Member
Nope,because what Millz said,but it depends if you really want too there should maybe be a Latin and Greek Class? Anyway French is the best (':

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It would be nice if they did but they struggle just teaching the basics these days, although some of that blame should go on the students themselves for not wanting to learn to begin with.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
From European stand point, I think it is important to know at least English, but also you should know maybe languages of surrounding countries as well as this can be very useful.

As for Greek or other classical language, I do not think this is so important to know, but it would hurt nothing to offers this to anyone who has interest. The problem maybe would be to finding teachers who can teach this well.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
From European stand point, I think it is important to know at least English, but also you should know maybe languages of surrounding countries as well as this can be very useful.

As for Greek or other classical language, I do not think this is so important to know, but it would hurt nothing to offers this to anyone who has interest. The problem maybe would be to finding teachers who can teach this well.
See, I wanted to see someone like yours and/or Elly's opinion on this, someone who's first language isn't English.

It seems to me many of those in that situation find the educational value in learning other languages and would maybe welcome the study of other languages. It seems, as Dabs pointed out, many students in the US don't see that educational value. Maybe I'm wrong.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
But whose fault is it if students don't see the educational value in learning something obscure? It seems these days that schools are only concerned with teaching kids how to do well on standardized tests.

I say yes, schools should place more of an emphasis on classical languages as well as the arts. Anything that helps kids learn how to learn. All they're learning now is how to test.