Should Salt Be Banned in Restaurant Food Preparation?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Paul Frumkin reports in Nation's Restaurant News that New York Assemblyman Felix Ortiz has introduced a bill that would ban the use of salt in the preparation of restaurant food across the state.

Ortiz says the ban would give more control to restaurant customers by allowing them to add salt to their own meals after they have been prepared and, thus, "exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles."

Ortiz goes on to say, "Studies have also proven that lowering the amount of salt people eat, even by small amounts, could reduce cases of heart disease, stroke, and heart attacks as much as reductions in smoking, obesity, and cholesterol levels."

Being part of a voluntary initiative like New York's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene National Salt Reduction Initiative -- which seeks to cut the levels of sodium in restaurant and packaged foods by 20 percent over the next five years -- is one thing, but being forced to eliminate salt entirely from food preparation under penalty of law, is another thing entirely.
Should Salt Be Banned in Restaurant Food Preparation?

I don't think banning salt from restaurant food recipes would make customers control the amount of salt. I'm sure many consumers don't know the exact amount of salt they should eat and go by putting as much salt as they want going overboard with it.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I don't see that going over well anywhere. salt bring out the flavors of things...and actually will only fuel the consumers to add even more salt than what they already do to make it taste better.

there are some people, like myself, who need that salt (sodium) to raise my blood pressure to normal levels because it is constantly low.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm not sure that this is a good idea. A properly trained chef knows how to season a dish with salt. I think the idea of banning salt from restraunts is a little ridiculous.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I don't think it should be banned, but regulated and displayed so that customers can make their own decisions. I agree that sodium is ingested dangerously by the general public, but it doesn't necessarily affect everyone, and some dishes (like soup) are often dependent on salt.

It would encourage people to add their own salt, and I think many people would add more salt than there was in the first place.

Sigurd

Internet Dig Dug
I think this is a rather bad idea, as already mentioned some people need salt to help with their blood pressure. Also in my experience in cooking anything that didn't set the house one fire, salt in certain situations makes the food taste way better than what it would have been without salt.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is going completely overboard IMO.

My Dad, right now, is eating less and less salt because he wants to eat healthier and live a longer life. We've had a history of heart problems on his side of the family. With that said if we go out to eat its understood that salt is going to be on it. We can control it at home but when you go out not every single person is watching their sodium in take.

I just think you're going to piss more people off this way. You'll force people to stay away from going out to eat.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I don't think it should be banned, but regulated and displayed so that customers can make their own decisions. I agree that sodium is ingested dangerously by the general public, but it doesn't necessarily affect everyone, and some dishes (like soup) are often dependent on salt.

It would encourage people to add their own salt, and I think many people would add more salt than there was in the first place.
I agree with this. I think the customers should be more informed of the amount of sodium, rather than them being left to add their own or being given a predetermined amount.

I've been to a lot of restaurants that when I request a nutrition guide, they don't have one. Ever. Sometimes they say I have to go online to get it, other times they say that it's so rare for someone to ask for one that they don't usually order them if they run out. Some consistency would be nice.

Pabst

Registered Member
if they're going to apply this to anything they should apply it to fast food joints. in the past i've gotten fries so salty i tasted more salt than fry. but hey, what do you expect from a 16 year old getting paid minimum wage who would rather be out getting wasted with their friends?

i find it's fast food joints that may need this because i dont remember going to a sit down restaurant and getting oversalted food. any good cook/chef worth their salt )not pun intended) knows how to use salt in moderation.

but i firmly believe this is a horrible idea in general though. whats next? putting coffee behind the counter at grocery stores because it contains a stimulant that can raise blood pressure and also increase chances of heart attack and more? you inform people, you attempt to educate, not think and do for them as though you are their parent.