Movies Should Robin be introduced in Nolan's Batman?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Mirage, Jul 17, 2008.

?

Should Robin be introduced in Nolan's Batman?

1. Yes

27.8%
  2. No

72.2%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you think Robin should be brought into Christopher Nolan's Batman movies?

I'm undecided. I know he has been a big part of SOME of the comics but not all. From what I've seen of Batman Begins and soon Batman Dark Knight I don't think Robin would fit well.

This is more the grungier beginnings of Batman than the "Glory Days" Batman & Robin style.

What do you guys think? I vote no to Robin.

2. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

I don't think the whole Robin/sidekick vibe would work with the awesome way that these movies are directed.

Perhaps Nightwing would work? An older, edgier version? There would have to be a different past worked in then, I guess.

3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Yes, but I have a few stipulations.

I want to see at least three Nolan Batman movies in this current series. If they decide to continue with a fourth, they should re-cast Batman if Nolan doesn't want to move on, keep the dark edge, and make the fourth movie the first with Robin.

I'd really love for them to do the "Nightwing" storyline from the comics and have a new Robin come in, too.

Of course, this all goes back to my "Batman should be like the Bond series" theory.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  4. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

I remember reading somewhere that in an interview, Bale said that if they ever tried to bring Robin in he would walk, so if they do bring in Robin, it will probably be more in the line of a re-boot.

I think it would be hard to incorporate Robin into this franchise, since it is trying to keep things more gritty, and Robin probably wouldn't go with grit to most people.

5. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

His entire family died (was killed?) and he was a very angry, vengeful person.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

There's apparently buzz that Nolan is not doing a third one or is at least unsure.

But Robin? No, not with the way these films are running.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I could never take him serious in these versions. I mean its hard to take Robin serious even in the Lighter versions of Batman Chronicles.

So far the formula that Nolan has brought out so far has worked IMO. I feel they are doing the Comic a good deed and hopefully dont get carried away like Raimi did with Spiderman.

Batman is a strong comic to play off of.... but so was spiderman, they just have to remember no matter how strong the franchise is, they arent invincible and us comic nerds NEVER forget!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  8. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

Thats true, but most movie goers would have a hard time viewing Robin as gritty mostly because of their memories of the 60's TV show Robin with all the stupid exclamations he made or Chris O'Donnell from Batman and Robin.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying it will be hard to do.

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree with you 100% here. If it were me in Nolans position I probably dont think I'd stick Robin on Batmans hip like those 60's versions. I think I'd make Robin a little more freelance, and not wearing tights thats for damn sure.

I can completely see a Robin that makes more of a helpful hand appearance, much like the Black Cat in the Spiderman Comics. That way the primary focus is still always on Batman, but you know in the back of your head that when tight situations come up... chances are Robin will make his appearance.

Also I could imagine like a late teenage kid, earthen stained olive drab hoodie and dark brownish cargo pants. Keeps him shady and grungy enough to fit the scheme.

10. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't think Robin should be brought in the new Batman's, like someone mentioned already he wouldn't fit well in Batman Begins, and he would look out of place in Dark Knight. I'm personally not a fan of the Robin character and I believe that the direction of the new Batman movies are going, they shouldn't involve Robin.

Major likes this.