• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should prisoners be allowed to vote?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I read that for the first time in the UK they'll be forced to give the prisoners a right to vote thanks to the European Court of Human Rights.

I was wondering if you agree with this or not? Do you believe this should happen all over the World? Or you're totally against it?

Dabs

Registered Member
No, I personally do not think prisoners should be allowed to vote.
Being locked up is a punishment, and part of that punishment means losing many things you once had the privilege of doing.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I don't know or really don't care about prisoner's around the world get to vote. I don't believe they should here though as they have given up their rights by being convicted of the crime that got them locked up. They have been deprived of their right to wake up in their house, eat lunch at a restaurant, go get a haircut, a myriad of rights while incarcerated. I don't see why this specific right should be given back to them. What makes this right more important than any other?

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
When someone commits a crime they are exhibiting deviant behaviour which we don't tolerate and we respond to by removing them from society. They should definately not be allowed to vote.

It is ridiculous, in the UK prisoners have televisions and computer games in their cells. I'm all up for ensuring their basic human rights are met but this is a bit rich.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't believe they should here though as they have given up their rights by being convicted of the crime that got them locked up.
Yet, they're not all locked up for the same reasons. It's not rational to group them all together and just say 'they committed crimes'. Because let's face it, there's a big difference between a guy who got into a fight at a bar and broke some guy's nose and a guy who murders people for the mob. It's for this same reason that this question is very hard to answer. It begs that we would need a ranking system to decide which criminals would be allowed to vote based on crime. Also, laws affect them too. Saying that they deserve nothing because they've broken the law is an awfully dangerous and a bit too much of an absolute sentiment to believe in my opinion.

By taking away their right to vote we're essentially saying any American that has ever committed a crime is no longer an American and well, plenty of people have been criminals before becoming great leaders and important historical figures. Just my thoughts on it though. It's not like being a criminal is a sign of greatness :lol: I just think it's something to consider.

I also wanted to point out that for all the love Americans seem to place on their rights, we're certainly happy to take them away from other people as quickly as we can. For some reason, I find that really un-American.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
Yet, they're not all locked up for the same reasons. It's not rational to group them all together and just say 'they committed crimes'. Because let's face it, there's a big difference between a guy who got into a fight at a bar and broke some guy's nose and a guy who murders people for the mob. It's for this same reason that this question is very hard to answer. It begs that we would need a ranking system to decide which criminals would be allowed to vote based on crime. Also, laws affect them too. Saying that they deserve nothing because they've broken the law is an awfully dangerous and a bit too much of an absolute sentiment to believe in my opinion.

By taking away their right to vote we're essentially saying any American that has ever committed a crime is no longer an American and well, plenty of people have been criminals before becoming great leaders and important historical figures. Just my thoughts on it though. It's not like being a criminal is a sign of greatness :lol: I just think it's something to consider.

I also wanted to point out that for all the love Americans seem to place on their rights, we're certainly happy to take them away from other people as quickly as we can. For some reason, I find that really un-American.
They only lose their right to vote while incarcerated, not for life. I don't think there should be a sliding scale -if your crime is serious enough to be locked up for then your punishment should include the removal of certain rights.

C-Mach

Registered Member
One of the punishments of imprisonment is losing your suffrage. If inmates maintained their suffrage, they would vote people in that would pardon them.

BigBob

Registered Member

Pretty much what Cons said.

..and I'd like to include, what about people who are falsely accused and put in prison? There's plenty of them in there, so they shouldn't lose their rights.

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
Pretty much what Cons said.

..and I'd like to include, what about people who are falsely accused and put in prison? There's plenty of them in there, so they shouldn't lose their rights.
There already exists a sliding scale of punishment -less serious crimes do not go to prison, prison is for more serious offenders (as the law sees it). The legal system doesn't presume it has innocent people, it must presume that it has a high rate of successful convictions. People in prison should not vote. Why don't we just give them a butler service?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
They only lose their right to vote while incarcerated, not for life. I don't think there should be a sliding scale -if your crime is serious enough to be locked up for then your punishment should include the removal of certain rights.
You can't argue that all crimes that people get locked up for are on the same level. Thus, you can't argue that incarceration is a perfect measuring rod.