Should police force be routinely armed?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by ysabel, Jan 21, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Does routinely arming the police cause a spiral of violence or is a deterrent to criminal behavior?

In California, some people think it's the former. People have asked city council to disarm BART PD after an unarmed man was shot dead on a commuter train platform by a rapid-transit police officer.

I don't think they're routinely armed here. However, in the case of the BART accident where police are seen putting Grant (victim) face-down on the ground (one of the officers kneels on Grant as another officer stands, tugs at his gun, unholsters it and fires a shot into Grant's back.), is it really an issue of him having a gun or just lack of training?

Bananas likes this.

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

This is from Oakland, CA so it doesn't surprise me. I'll say it here like I have said many times before. It's the person not the gun. We have no clue why this officer shot the man. In America if there is a threat i.e. they reach into their pocket, jacket etc... that can be construed as a threat.

Do you really think disarming cops will make crime stop? They've already done it to law-abiding citizens...

3. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Police are pretty much useless if they're disarmed. A tazer works fine against one or two bad guys but against several of them then what? And it's really stupid to disarm everyone in society but the criminals who obviously don't give a shit whether the law says they can have weapons or not.

4. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Is there not more to a cops job than just shooting things? To say they are useless is a bit offensive to the police officers.

....and where do criminals come from?.......society! You arm society you are arming the criminal.

I disagree with what you say, it is stupid for society to have guns, be they law abiding citizens, criminals or even the regular police on the beat. You give criminals a green light to use excessive force and the weapons on a plate for them to do, the consequence is a perpetuating circle of violence and havok.

ysabel likes this.
  5. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Hold up, I thought it went that police only allowed to fire on someone when they actively point a firearm at the officer or someone else?

6. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

While I've admired British police for going unarmed, with respect to their own laws, I think it'd be a little counterproductive for American police to do so...

I think higher salaries and harder screening/personality tests would make for a better police service --> Make the job more desirable to attract more applicants, and pick the best of the best. A lot of police services allow too much aggression in.

7. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

You know what, I should take that back, there's all kinds of domestic things they help solve. But dangerous matters like drug dealers, they can't do much if they have no weapons.

Ever heard of getting weapons from other places? You think criminals and terrorists get their weapons from just America?

Criminals don't give a shit about the law, whether cops have guns or not, they have a green light to do whatever.

Next I suppose you'll tell me the military doesn't need guns or weapons either?

8. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

The men and women of law enforcement are given the privilage to serve and protect us because they went through training and know the difference between right and wrong in most situations where regular people would clam up. Sending an officer out into the feild without a fire arm is the most deadly thing you can do to an office, it's pretty much asking for them to commit suicide, they are going into the unknown people!

Yes, the situation that was posted is very unfortunate and I'm sure there will be an investigation, but that doens't mean they should only carry firearms routinely.

~Shwa

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yeah, that'd be an awesome idea. Let's disarm police while the illegal gun trade is as active lucrative as it's ever been.

And people wonder why I have such little faith in humanity.

10. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

What about the guy that got shot and killed by a police officer because the cop was chasing a black man and another black male was on his porch so the officer shot him because, uh oh.. he thought it was the same guy. Was that that guys fault for getting killed? Don't give me the "Yeah, he should've went back in the house when the cop was coming.." bullshit either.