Should parents pay kids for good grades?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Kazmarov, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

What's your opinion:

A basic set of arguments

For: We increasingly live in a culture dominated by materialism, thus money speaks loudest to children in terms of encouraging certain behavior. It is not unscrupulous, the status quo has changed.

Against: It cheapens the academic process and make children believe that every good act and process deserves a direct reward. Self-confidence and getting into better schools and respect is most important. Integrity matters much more, and should always be the defining characteristic of our youth.

2. njbroncsfan

njbroncsfan Registered Member

I don't agree with paying for absurd amounts, but I think kids should be rewarded if they do that well. I know that whenever I get straight A's I get a few hundred. But if I don't that drops down significantly. Now I don't just get good grades so I can make a few extra bucks, I do it because I want to get good grades.

3. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

I am so for it because it's one of the only ways I'll great good grades. I mean, if I just do what I want, I'll get half As half Bs, maybe a C. I just don't really care. I don't feel motivated to get good grades. I care about learning, not my grades. And where my school system is, grades don't reflect what one knows. Then again, the grading system at my school is whack.

My parents don't do it all the time, but just to show them that I can, they've said on occasion they'll give me a few extra bucks if I get all As, and I have. In order to get good grades in school, at least high school, you got to play the teacher's game (the way they grade, their system). Unless the way teachers grade is universal, grades really wont reflect what one knows. I'll have to try harder in some classes to get an A, and I just don't like feel like exerting that much effort into something I don't care about. I would much rather learn what I want, when I want, on my terms. Call me a lax genius, but I really don't give a shit. Money does make me give a shit, so things usually work out.

4. Sexxitant

Sexxitant Bombe Sexuelle

I'm against paying kids for good grades annules they're "normal" will to suceed. After they will do good grades for the money not for the satisfaction of having good grades

5. Kazmarov

I'm really on the fence for this one, which is why I made this thread in the first place. I think it just depends on one's parenting style and the stimuli that kids respond to. If money makes the kid get better grades and not become a dick in the process, by all means use it. Otherwise, why bother if they become greedy or it really doesn't affect them in any positive way?

6. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I'm less for paying kids for doing well in school, more for the punishment aspect. :/

Mainly because while I feel doing well in school should be a motivation in and of itself, people who aren't doing well apparently either can't do well without further guidance, or need further motivation not to do bad.

7. The_Show_Stopper

The_Show_Stopper Registered Member

I don't think parents should pay a kid for good grades unless its something small. My dad only pays me if I get A's and B's the WHOLE year and he gives me $15-$20 at the end of the school year. But, it has to be at least a flat B. No B-'s and if there's 1 C all year, I don't get anything.

If you pay a kid for getting good grades all the time and its an outrageous amount, where's the motivation going to be when the kid goes off to college?

8. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Holy crap, I'd work my butt off for a couple hundred for good grades! :scared:

My mom used to give me 20 bucks for all As. I was happy. Then I heard some other kids got 50 bucks for no Cs, which I thought was completely absurd.

I've basically given up getting all As now (still strive for them though). It's virtually impossible for me now because there's always one class I struggle in. NOw I get a buck for every 100 I rake in, which I think is pretty fair. Not only will it take more 100s to actually have spending money, I'm improving my grade as well...

Anyways, I support rewards (not necesarily money) for good grades. I'll probably go with the positive motivation before resorting to what Mal will do.

9. Kazmarov

Never gotten money for grades, never even thought of mentioning it. A bunch of my friends and classmates get paid.

However I did extremely well in my academic summer camp last summer, and they're inviting me back with a 10% discount, and another 10% discount for early registration. My dad offered to give me one of the 10% discounts (400$) if I applied early. I think that's different: my good performence saves my dad 800$, and he's simply repaying me for doing so.

10. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I never got money for good grades. My parents took me out to dinner if I returned with good marks from college. However, that was only occasionally.

Considering both my parents are school teachers they would have never even have considered paying me for good grades. Good grades were to be expected. Getting low grades would lead to punishment I guess...But I never got low grades so I wouldnt know. I knew tons of kids who got paid for grades in high school. To be honest I don't think rewarding kids for a job well done is too harmful. However, I think kids appreaciate their education more in the long run if they were self motivated to achieve high grades, as oppose to being motivated by some monetary reward.

I know I appreciate my education since completing it. Its one of the few things in life I truly did earn.