Should NAACP change their name to NAALP?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by MenInTights, Jul 13, 2010.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

National Association for the Advancement of Liberal People?

Really, this is just getting embarrassing.
    washingtonpost.com- NAACP to vote on controversial resolution condemning 'tea party' supporters

We've been over this, but Rep. Cleaver said he was not spit on intentionally and there still is no proof that anyone used any racial slur during the healthcare rally. Maybe, somewhere amid the hundreds of thousands of tea party protesters there was a poster or 2 that was racial and maybe that person was an actual member of the teaparty and not a liberal plant. Is that worth a condemnation compared to this:
    NAACP Mourns the Passing of U.S. Senator Robert Byrd - NAACP News and Comment

I guess maybe we've really gotten past the color of one's skin and now only judge people by how liberal they are.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010

2. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

:lol: You mean the racist organization that calls others racist :lol:

Do you mean the NAALCP?

Have they commented on the New Black Panthers voter intimidation case? Do they condemn those guys as racist?

If there were a NAAWP would that be racist? Would it be appropriate for a caucasian first lady to address that type of organization? Could they decry the million man march as racist?

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I love how Trent Lott was raked through the coals for what he said about Strom Thurmond and Bill Clinton was praised for what he said about Byrd and how the NAACP mourned his passing.

The NAACP became a joke years ago and they're an even bigger joke now. They're refusal to address the voter intimidation case and condemn the New Black Panther Party speaks volumes.

4. MenInTights

I grew up in a small town, but I remember NOW being an active political group and at least pretending to be bi-partisan. They were destroyed during the Clinton years when they supported Bill through all of the affairs. The same thing is happening to the NAACP. Part of me wants to point and laugh, but at the same time I hate to see a historical political group get taken down because they recklessly support a bunch of racist and thugs.

5. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

How many people actually take them seriously anymore? After Jesse Jackson's last comments about LeBron and Cleveland owners, calling Cleveland's owner Gilbert a slave master thinking one of his slaves (LeBron) just ran away.. I think I'll just laugh at everything they do.

I believe in them fighting for equality, but if that means everyone else has to be a racist, then screw it.

6. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

7. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

Fuck it, I'll stir up the hornet's nest.

First off, I think Prof Harris-Lacewell has some good points here (ignore Keith, he's being a corporate-shill here):

Watch Countdown with Keith Olbermann - NAACP calls out Tea Party for its racist element Online - Clicker.com

Now personally, I don't think the Tea Party is fundamentally racist. WITH THAT SAID, it is a Frankenstein of a political movement (if you can call it that anymore). I know the types of people that were in it originally - they're all over Infowars (not to condemn Infowars) and (though in the minority) can be very racist and white separatists.

I think the small minority of racism grew proportionally when Fox News/The RNC took it over and distorted its "message" (if you can call it that, since it was so mixed to begin with) of small government. I'm not sure if I agree with the NAACP on this case, but the Tea Party hasn't done enough to repudiate the racist members. Why weren't people holding up signs like this booed out of the rallies? And it's not just "a few signs." The organizers don't seem to consider it an issue (I understand that if they publicly condemn it that it might get further out of proportion in the media) and it doing so seem to be tacitly supporting it. That's all I'm gonna say.

8. MenInTights

wow - we agree that Olbermann is a shill for GE(ie Obama). I liked he said it was undeniable because:
    **racist signs and he showed about 20 signs that were in no way racist.
    **spitting on Cleaver which didn't happen
    **calling the congressmen n*** which there is zero proof
    :lol:

The Prof started out very reasonable until she says that maybe white women see 4 black men approaching instead of 1?? Was she kidding?
    I liked what she said about if you support policies that create greater negative impact of people of color, that is racist. To me, that means something completely different than to her. To me, abortion policy is racist as it affects the black population more than the white. Racial quotas in colleges have also shown to affect blacks more because they get into schools that they aren't qualified for and fail at a greater rate.

I liked what she said about white privilege, I just think that is a fraction of what it used to be and there is no way to fix that problem.

Its not about limited government, its about race? How insulting.

I don't think it has anything to do with the infowars crowd. This started with Rick Santelli on the floor of the Chicago Exchange.

That doesn't look like a sign. Your argument is about as thin as Olbermann's.
    ------
    ===============================================

Glenn Beck does a thing every Friday called Founders Fridays. I never get to see it because I'm always working. But there are 2 episodes I plan on seeing soon. Beck did 2 shows on the black founding fathers. From everything I've heard they are phenomenal. The truth is African-Americans played a huge part in the founding of this country and its the "evil" FOX News and "retarded" Glenn Beck that educated America on this.

Don't believe the hype. Fox News and the tea-party is not racist.

I watched the 7min Olbermann video. Here is a 10minute Beck video about the African-Americans that crossed the Delaware with Gen. Washington.

YouTube - Pt 1 Glenn Beck AMERICA'S BLACK FOUNDING FATHERS Founders' Friday

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  9. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

Yes

That specific picture wasn't, but I've seen the image printed out and on picket signs.

Look, bottom line the Tea Party needs to make a very clear zero tolerance policy. It seems that those with racist signs/shirts don't get much/any heat for it when they show up to the rallies. The organizers need to tell them specifically "if you see something like this, tell them it's counter productive and to take it down." I believe the number of people at the meetings there for racial reasons is far smaller than what it would appear, but the Tea Party also has to take some responsibility rather than attacking the media for painting them as racist or it won't stop.

10. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I think the amount of people that have racists intent in the Tea Party is a very small minority but I do agree with you, they do need to make a bigger stand against those that are. At the same time, it's disgusting when a Congressman makes accusations he can't back up and with all the microphones and cameras present there isn't a shred of evidence of his claims.

Along those same lines (not really about racism but about attacking Obama) some Tea Party members put up a billboard comparing Obama to Hitler and Lenin somewhere in Iowa. Apparently many other members and I want to say the national Tea Party condemned the ad saying it was misleading and divisive and the billboard was taken down. I think this just happened within the last couple of days.