Should Mario hang it up?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by viLky, Jun 23, 2009.

?

Should Mario hang it up?

1. Yes, Mario must go.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Eh, maybe in the next decade, but not now...

15.4%
  3. No, Mario is a legend!

84.6%
  1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I never thought about it until Mario Sunshine was released. Then, I was like "Hmm... Maybe Mario should retire after this one." Even with the release of that game I still have faith in good ol' Mario; he provides great games even though some are less fun than others. ;)

Should Mario ever hang it up? Not necessary because of Sunshine, but ever. Does he ever have that certain point where you hang his character up and retire it, or is he the type of character that you recycle every so often for the newer generations?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009

2. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

So yeah Sunshine isn't that amazing but Super Mario Galaxy was amazing. You ahve to admit that even with the bad game or two the Mario franchise is not only alive but carrying on it's reputation.

(That's right my 3000th post is dedicated to Mario)

PretzelCorps likes this.
  3. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Really, what's more amazing than an italian plumber who descends with his brother into strange worlds and fights mutant turtle creatures to save a princess? Nintendo came up with a great character, and I think that as long as they only come out with one or two mario games for each console they create, he shouldn't get too old. Maybe one day Nintendo will have to hang him up, but for now, I don't see that happening. I mean really, he's pretty much as old as me, and I don't see anyone hanging me up yet =P

4. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

You do have to wonder what Nintendo were thinking with Galaxy 2, though.

I mean, seriously, does the game really warrant a sequel?

I dunno, maybe I'm just thinking that this sort of strategy was fine back in the NES days with Super Mario Bros. 2 (the REAL one released in Japan, not the Doki Doki Panic re-colour).

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Yeah Mario has had soem pretty serious failures in it's time but that happens with all major franchises in games that go for that long I mean come on Super Mario bros released in 1986 so they've been around for 23 years, and it's even earleir if you count mario games before that such as Mario bros (teh arcade) or Donkey Kong.

Mario is a legend and is basically the face of nintendo, it's impossible to replace him with anything except for Maybe Link but I definitely wouldn't like to see that.

The series is designed to never end and I'm fine with that.

6. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Passing two generations now, this guy has worked his way up from this:

[​IMG]

To this:

[​IMG]

Nevermind the face of Nintendo; Mario is virtually the face of the entire video game industry.

7. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

I suppose Mario could end, but I think it's a versatile enough franchise to continue strong. Heck, the recent rpgs like the Mario & Luigi / Paper Mario games are a lot of fun and have a great sense of humor.

8. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

So long as people are enjoying Mario and buying the games then I see no reason to end him. Personally I was never a fan of Mario games but I know a lot of people were/are.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

With new fans everyday, I don't see a reason. Mario is an icon, a legend and arguably saved the gaming industry with the revolutionary game that propelled him to superstardom twenty years ago.

10. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally I don't think so. Mario will always be popular no matter what. When you think of video games or even Nintendo in general you think of Mario. He's like Mickey from Disneyland. There's no way they should stop making Mario video games.