Should Locking Your Doors Be Illegal?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Mirage, Jan 12, 2009.

?

Should Locking Your Doors Be Illegal?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Right upfront I'll let you know that this thread has a gun based agenda. There's no denying that. I thought this would be an interesting way to put the argument into perspective though. I'll play devil's advocate. Let's see how this plays out.

Do you think locking your doors to your home should be made illegal? Why or why not?

If it's illegal to break into a house then there is no point to lock your doors anyway, am I right?

I voted "NO", but here are a few arguments for this law:

1. If somebody breaks into your house by breaking a window they could get hurt. Is that fair to them? You should just call the police if somebody breaks in.

2. Locking your doors isn't necessary if everybody left them unlocked and nobody ever broke into other people's houses.

3. Locking your door could be dangerous. More people might try to rob you if your door was locked because they might think you have valuables worth locking up.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009

2. Kriistineeee

Kriistineeee Registered Member

Just because the law says it's illegal to break into a house doesn't mean people will stop. I think you should be allowed to lock the doors in your house.

After all, it is YOUR house.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2009
  3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Theres no way locking your doors should be illegal, there's a reason why doors have locks it's your home, and people don't like other people going in and do whatever they want, and even worst hurt, rape, abuse, kill someone. Even though it's illegal to break into a house, it doesn't stop some people.

4. snowflake

snowflake Registered Member

No way should locking your doors be illegal. It's your property and you can do as you like. I guess keeping them locked is for your own safety !

5. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Locking your doors does not kill people.

The comparison between guns and locking the doors fails.

Duke1985 likes this.
  6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

If they don't want to get hurt then they shouldn't break into people's home.

Hense why people lock them, because there's so many break ins. Even though people can find other ways of entering a home, locking it makes them feel more safe.

Even if people didn't lock their doors, people would still go in the house and try to rob stuff, I am sure they know by the size of the house, and the cars people drive that if they have some interesting values or not in the house.

7. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I can't fathom any possibly reasons why it should be made illegal. I mean, I live where it makes no difference whether you lock your doors or not. But still, if someone wants to break into my house, they deserve to get cut while breaking a window.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Somebody could cut their wrist on glass while trying to break into your house and die. It has happened and it will continue to happen.

Does it matter if locking your doors necessarily kills people? That's not the point.

The point is that people will break in regardless because they don't follow the laws.

The gun argument is sound. If you think of guns only as tools for shooting rampages then it might be harder to see the logic. They also work as self defense and deterrence.

1. Whether you lock your doors or not people will still break in. In one scenario you have a chance to defer people, in another you don't.

2. Whether guns are illegal or not, people will still break into your house and SHOOT YOU with a gun. In one scenario you have a chance to defend yourself, in the other scenario you don't.

Plain and simple, people who will break into your house, or people who will use guns illegally will do BOTH regardless of whether or not doors are locked or guns are banned.

9. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I am saying comparing locking doors and guns is completely fallacious and absurd.

Who cares if a person hurts his hands breaking into your house?

Permission to privacy is completely different than guns for self-defense.

Your logic just doesn't flow Hybrix...

PretzelCorps likes this.
  10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

First off this thread is silly; locking doors/owning guns are not really in the same league. I think there has been enough discussion on these boards to realise the issue is a lot more complex than a little home security.

Have you ever tried to break a window? Seriously, when I was about 21 I locked myself out the house, I got the axe out of the shed and put it to the window, did it break :shake:. I ended up going through the door panel instead; Jack Torrence style.
    [​IMG]

I admit its a bit like that around here. Ive lived in houses where the doors were never locked, burgalries just did not happen in the neighbourhood. This house has got an automatic latch so unless I remove the mechanism it will always lock. Backdoor only gets locked at night if I remember too.

I'd say its more dangerous if the fire-brigade cant open the door due to it being locked, when they do finaly get in they find a guy with a 12 gauge on the other side shooting blindly into the smoke in fear of having his liberty imposed upon.