• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should Intro/Welcome Centre Count Towards Post Count

Should Posts In The Welcome Centre Include In Your Post Count?

• Total voters

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
You see the same old people posting in the introduction/welcome centre every thread, some for people who made one post then never showed up again. People are just posting for the sake of posting, it's not really contributing and can show an untrue post count for some.

It's good when you get a proper member sign up, one who will stick around but when people are welcoming someone who hasn't signed back in for a week, well that's pointless.

So lets have a little vote, should the posts be counted in the welcome cente?

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I'm not really bothered to be honest. I think though, that if it didn't go towards the post count you would get half the amount of people welcoming new members. One of the reasons that I came back to this site was because I was impressed by how welcoming people were. Even though I know now that it was going towards post counts (obviously that's not the one and only reason people welcome new members) :lol: it still was one of the reasons I wanted to come back. What I'm saying is I think we wouldn't get as many new members staying around if not as many people were welcoming them. But I do also agree with you, so that's why I'm not bothered really.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I didn't even know they counted towards your post count. I don't agree that it should as lots of people just say "Welcome to GF" and that's it.
It belongs under sub-talk in my opinion.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I'm not really bothered to be honest. I think though, that if it didn't go towards the post count you would get half the amount of people welcoming new members. One of the reasons that I came back to this site was because I was impressed by how welcoming people were. Even though I know now that it was going towards post counts (obviously that's not the one and only reason people welcome new members) :lol: it still was one of the reasons I wanted to come back. What I'm saying is I think we wouldn't get as many new members staying around if not as many people were welcoming them. But I do also agree with you, so that's why I'm not bothered really.

I agree with what Bex has said. It's nice for the new members to get a good welcome and if this section was put into sub talk less members would post a welcome.

But I also agree that sometimes it is just a waste of space because people just put short welcoming messages.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I don't give a shit. Get a life, EEB.

That's my vote. Some welcome posts make an impact, some not. It depends not only on the poster but the people who choose to start a welcome thread. I'm fine either way.

Bjarki

Registered Member
Do people really care all that much about post count?

Most regulars have one way above 1000. Does it really matter if it's 4538 or 6317? :confused:

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
On the one hand it does do for a good welcome for newbie members, but on the other we do get the trawlers looking for post count, and in my opinion one liners like "Hey, welcome to GeneralForum, it's a great place" (we all know who you are...:sneaky:) should not count towards it.

But I also realize that for a newbie it's tough at times, especially when we get the dickfucks trying to intimidate the newbies (we all know who they are, too. :glare:) - so a good welcome is not only key to their hanging on at GF by ensuring they get a good feeling about the place (how else are we going to get new, quality members?), but also so that they get a start on a postcount. We all know there are people who will look down on someone else because they have all but three posts. :rolleyes: A good introduction thread not only bumps the likelihood that they'll stick around, but also the interest in newbies from older members.

So, my vote is yes, it should count. EEB should still get a life, naturally. :D

Last edited:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it should count...if you are new and you make an intro thread and you see your post count doesnt change then that's going to be very confusing for a new member.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
They used to not count, and this made a lot of people completely ignore the section. It also confused new members because they would make an intro thread and they would still have 0 posts.

We had a big argument about this about a year and a half ago and the consensus at the time was that a majority of the members wanted posts in these sections to count.