Should I take an anti-rabies vaccine or not?

Hello everyone! I need your advises if weather I should take an anti-rabies vaccine or not. Last night (June 16, 2009), a friend of mine told me that he was scratched (not bitten) by a street cat last week and was worried that the cat might be a carrier of rabies virus and he might be infected too so he decided to take an anti-rabies vaccine. Before, I believe that rabies can only be acquired by being bitten by an animal infected by it but as my friend told me, it can also be acquired by being scratched. That’s why I’m confused now if weather I should take an anti-rabies vaccine or not because I was also scratch by a cat 16 months ago (February 2008). Should I be alarmed? I know that was already a long period of time ago compare to most cases that a vaccine should be take from days to weeks from the time of being bitten (and now, being scratched) but when I search the internet regarding rabies, a possibility of incubation period for rabies might be as long as 2 years (or more) before an infected person feel the symptoms. What should I do? Need your advice and thanks in advance. God bless!

Hiei

The Hierophant
1. Rabies is only spread through saliva or brain matter. Unless the cat scratched you with it's teeth or part of it's brain, I wouldn't be worried about getting rabies.

2. Rabies attacks the central nervous system. I don't think the effects would take as long as two years to start being noticeable.

3. How do you just take an anti rabies vaccine? I may be wrong but I thought the vaccine was a shot given by a doctor.

Hiei

The Hierophant
Hiei
"How do you just take an anti rabies vaccine? I may be wrong but I thought the vaccine was a shot given by a doctor."
If you're going to quote me, do it right. So are you saying that you can get the antidote over the counter?

If you're going to quote me, do it right. So are you saying that you can get the antidote over the counter?
Ok! I don't know if people can get an antidote for rabies over the counter. As I know, vaccination service is given by a medical practitioner so the patient must go to a clinic or hospital.

It's almost definitely nothing, but if you're really worried about it, go see a doctor /:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
There are more than just rabies concerns if a cat scratches you.

Cats carry a bacterium called Pasturella Multocida in their mouth. This bacterium rarely harms healthy cats but can cause severe infections in humans, especially for the very young or old or for the immuno-compromised.

that or you could take a lesson from the Nooge and even be concerned about Cat scratch fever- There is a very good chance that you could develop cat scratch fever 10-12 days after the scratch or bite. The symptoms include reddish bumps at the site of the wound, enlarged local lymph nodes, and fever. The bacterium most responsible for these symptoms is Hemobartonella Felis.

that or you could take a lesson from the Nooge and even be concerned about Cat scratch fever- There is a very good chance that you could develop cat scratch fever 10-12 days after the scratch or bite.
You did read all his post, right? Like how he says it's been 16 months?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Nope I did not.

Once I saw the "weather I should" I gave up hope. I mean anyone who doesnt know the difference 'tween weather and whether, well.... lets just say I lost interest and followed suit with the other posts.

Nope I did not. Once I saw the "weather I should" I gave up hope. I mean anyone who doesnt know the difference 'tween weather and whether, well.... lets just say I lost interest and followed suit with the other posts.
I mean "weather = which one of the two".
Thanks for the replies. I'm not that worried after I've been informed that rabies can be aquired by being scratch by an infected animal. In the first place, I'm not sure if the cat that scratches me is a carrier of the said virus. I just want to know if I need to be injected by the anti-rabies liquid. What do you guys think?