• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should I still tip if the service was good but the cooks messed up?

Powerful

Registered Member
Went out to dinner with the wife last night.

Long story short, the kitchen screwed up my entree. They apparently messed up a whole batch of one of the specials and after waiting for almost an hour I had to order something else. The manager comped the whole meal (would have been about $65 without tip if we'd paid), and threw in a few extras as well.

The service was good. Appetizers came out on time and we got plenty of refills. Other than the chaotic state and waiting about an hour and a half for a main course, it was all top notch.

So, what's the tipping etiquette in that situation? Do you tip like normal? Tip more? Less?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You're tipping the waitstaff, not the people that are working in the kitchen. You should have base your tip on their service.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
If the wait staff were apologetic and kept making sure you were taken care of while the mistakes in the kitchen kept happening then I would tip decently at least, 20% is my rule.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Yeah, all about the waiting service for me also. It's not like they weren't doing their best in that chaotic situation that was pretty much out of their control. But at least, the manager was really nice to you and it could've been worse. Several years ago, we all gathered at a restaurant to celebrate my cousin's book being published and at one point, the manager was pissed because some people had cancelled on very short notice and he basically took out his frustration on us. My then-cousin's boyfriend almost got into it with him and needless to say that it reflected on the tip we gave.

But by the usual standard, I also go around 20% tip.

Impaired

Registered Member
From the sound of it, they made up for the mistake as best they could. I would tip based on the quality of service.

Advice on tipping in a bar: Tip big, tip early. Make sure the bartender knows YOU left the big tip. Advice from a bartender friend and sure enough, you get better service and often comp drinks.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Advice on tipping in a bar: Tip big, tip early. Make sure the bartender knows YOU left the big tip. Advice from a bartender friend and sure enough, you get better service and often comp drinks.
This is a great tip, and I do it quite often. I remember one time me and my friend went to an all-inclusive resort in Cancun. The first day we go to the pool bar we leave a $20USD tip to the bartenders. For the rest of the week, we were treated like kings. Never had to wait in line, they gave us the good tequila, and so forth. Treat your bartenders well, and they’ll return the favour.

Powerful

Registered Member
I ended up leaving a $10 tip. Might should have left $20, but I did the math wrong in my head and $20 felt like way too much.

Shwa

V.I.P.
My minimum is $-5 dollars on a given meal, but if everything else was o.k (service, politeness, food delivery, etc), then I'll add more to the tip. I've been a server for years, bartending and food wise, so I know how hard the food staff works to make sure everything is seemingly perfect and comfortable for your time out.

I can honestly say the times I didn't leave a tip was about 2-3 times, mostly because everything was horrible from beginning to the end, rudeness and just blatant carelessness for the customer. I hate doing it, but if I gave the time and effort you would expect others to do so since it's their job and all.

~Shwa

Impaired

Registered Member
I much prefer leaving an insultingly small tip. No tip and they can think it was stolen or you forgot.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I ended up leaving a $10 tip. Might should have left $20, but I did the math wrong in my head and $20 felt like way too much.
That seems really low! How about this, if it's at all possible. Go back and leave a $10 in an envelope.

You'll feel good about it and you'll make someone's day. Just my two cents.