Should I just give in?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dDave, Aug 27, 2008.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I am currently using AIM 5.9, I like it, it's what I used a few years ago, then I stopped using AIM altogether for about 2 years, now I am back using it again.

So here's the question, what are the benefits of getting the latest version of AIM as compared to staying with version 5.9? Is there even a noticeable difference between the two? What are the major differences between them?

Persuade me...

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I still use 5.9. I got the new version when it first came out and I hated it.

3. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

You know, the only actual IM program I used was the ICQ one and I don't know if you remember PowWow but I used that one too and loved the whiteboard feature. You could always use Pidgin or Trillian instead as these are combination programs for all the IMs, they are free and they are smaller with not a lot of bloated features.

4. scitsofreaky

scitsofreaky Registered Member

I don't IM anymore, but I still have pidgin installed. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with which version you like or not.

5. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I use older stuff. I have Aim version 5.2 still. I generally don't like new software. If it ain't broke it doesn't need fixed I always say. New stuff is always more complicated and has "more features" and I hate that. I don't like re-learning things 300 times. I keep it the same unless I have to upgrade, like flash player and quicktime in order to play vids and stuff.

OldVersion.com

6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I use the new one. I like it. Mostly because of the Tab Feature. I can have a conversation with 6 different people and only have one window open where I remember the older versions was one window per conversation.

Other than that I dont really notice any difference aside from it having a fancy new skin every update.

7. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I don't remember what version I use, but I know there are times when I "upgrade", and I hate it. I just upgraded Mozilla, and it's much worse.

8. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

oh I like that. Does that mean that when I am playing an arcade game that the window wont' just pop up and make me die?

Either way I hate having all of those windows.

9. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

The only messenger I use is YAHOO and that does something that just soooo annoying.....

You can be chatting with someone and suddenly you hear a yodeling YAHOOOOOOO and the screen shakes and I HATE that and IMHO it is just stupid and annoying.

10. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

NOpe it will NOT pop up. If you are having a conversation with a person already all its going to do is open a new tab inside that window and start blinking orange on your bottom bar. The lack of popping up has been yet another thing I love about the new AIM.

Also I found out that you guys with the older version dont have the "Clear" function. With the new one all you gotta do is click the "Edit" and then "Clear History" and the whole screen is wiped clean. No more having to close the box to hide any dirty conversations from mommy.