• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Advice Should I drop out of high school?

rocketalypse

Registered Member
I have a dream that I'd like to work toward to, but there are too many obstacles in front of my horizon. The first one would be school. There are not any jobs I would like to do which are connected to specific school. I don't want to be a programmer, lawyer, doctor or anything like that. I want to be a rapper, thus I feel like I'm wasting my time in school. Usually I spend around seven and half hours in school, that would be from 7:10 am to 2:45 pm, plus I need to do homework every day. I see that as a big waste of my time and energy. I think it'd be more productive if I stayed at home; I'd read books, learn new words, think of rhyme schemes, flow and all of the things that actually matter to me. Well, there it goes, what's your opinion on this? Should I drop out of high school?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Welcome to the forum.
I dont know how old you are but my advice is to stay in school. You probaly already studied for a lot of years so dont toss that. Theres no way you can know if you will be a huge success with music so you may need something to fall back on. Also people will give more rep to an educated rapper than to one that isnt.
You have a whole lifetime to study rap but only now to get a legit diploma so I say get both.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
In your intro you said you were 16 so you don't have but another year or two in high school. I wouldn't drop out now when you are almost finished. If you do you will find no matter how much you know many places will not hire you because you don't have a diploma.

Rapping is fine if you like to do it but most people never make it in the music business even if they are good. I would finish school.

rocketalypse

Registered Member
Thanks for replies!

I guess, three more years of high school and it's done. But, diploma means nothing to me since I'll keep on focusing on my dream instead of working some job I hate with passion.

I already befriended a c-list celebrity rapper who says I have a talent, a great potential and that he'll help transfer his knowledge onto me - I guess you could call it mentoring. A few weeks ago, I've participated in rap battle and came second. It was my first rap battle.

In a few weeks, five of us, local rappers, will collaborate with that c-list celebrity I've mentioned above. Professional studio recording and professional music video for that song.

You see where I'm going? I believe in law of attraction - thoughts become reality once you put enough effort. Croatia doesn't have that big competition in rap music, matter of a fact I'm learning from Eminem and Tech N9ne a lot of tricks that would help me and that none of existing Croatian rappers have implemented.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I have a dream that I'd like to work toward to, but there are too many obstacles in front of my horizon. The first one would be school. There are not any jobs I would like to do which are connected to specific school. I don't want to be a programmer, lawyer, doctor or anything like that. I want to be a rapper, thus I feel like I'm wasting my time in school. Usually I spend around seven and half hours in school, that would be from 7:10 am to 2:45 pm, plus I need to do homework every day. I see that as a big waste of my time and energy. I think it'd be more productive if I stayed at home; I'd read books, learn new words, think of rhyme schemes, flow and all of the things that actually matter to me. Well, there it goes, what's your opinion on this? Should I drop out of high school?
Even if it turns out you're a kick-ass rapper, it doesn't guarantee that you'll make it to the big time. Half the youth of the civilized world want to be rappers, and even if you single out the really good ones, you still have a crazy stupid amount of competition. Even if you make it to the big time, don't expect it to happen overnight. For most successful performers, it has been a long road to get where they are. Meanwhile, you're still going to need to support yourself and have something to fall back on if fate doesn't choose you to be the next 50 cent. Stay in school. Earn a degree in something useful. That way you'll have all your bases covered. Don't be blinded by the stars in your eyes. Play it smart.

- Cham

dDave

V.I.P.
The answer to that question is "no" more than 99.99% of the time.

Unless you actually have a guaranteed thing lined up then it would be a terrible move. Even if I had something lined up I would still finish High School. This is the only time you get to be a kid, enjoy it a bit. High School is SO much easier than the real world.

I'll be brutally honest here. I have a big problem with most rappers. Many of them are senseless, offensive, and I think many of their lyrics are lies. I also find many of them to be incredibly unintelligent. Whether it's their world views or the way they speak, many rappers come across as unintelligent to me. News flash, you don't need to use the F word 20 times in one stanza to be cool, you shouldn't really use it at all.

^I am in no way saying you about you, but it's something that you should be mindful of. I know a lot of people believe that same way.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm sure the guy means well but the chances of you making it is slim. A lot of competition in the music business. Just to be safe I would finish high school and try to go to college. Maybe you could learn to do something else in the music industry as a back up.

If he is asking for money to make you a star I would beware.

rocketalypse

Registered Member
Even if it turns out you're a kick-ass rapper, it doesn't guarantee that you'll make it to the big time. Half the youth of the civilized world want to be rappers, and even if you single out the really good ones, you still have a crazy stupid amount of competition. Even if you make it to the big time, don't expect it to happen overnight. For most successful performers, it has been a long road to get where they are. Meanwhile, you're still going to need to support yourself and have something to fall back on if fate doesn't choose you to be the next 50 cent. Stay in school. Earn a degree in something useful. That way you'll have all your bases covered. Don't be blinded by the stars in your eyes. Play it smart.

- Cham
It is a really long road, but I think I can make it. I'm not a material for college, though, and only with a high school degree I'm bound to working some stupid job such as bartender. No offence to anyone who's bartender, some might enjoy it, but not me. I see your point, thanks for advice! :)

The answer to that question is "no" more than 99.99% of the time.

Unless you actually have a guaranteed thing lined up then it would be a terrible move. Even if I had something lined up I would still finish High School. This is the only time you get to be a kid, enjoy it a bit. High School is SO much easier than the real world.

I'll be brutally honest here. I have a big problem with most rappers. Many of them are senseless, offensive, and I think many of their lyrics are lies. I also find many of them to be incredibly unintelligent. Whether it's their world views or the way they speak, many rappers come across as unintelligent to me. News flash, you don't need to use the F word 20 times in one stanza to be cool, you shouldn't really use it at all.

^I am in no way saying you about you, but it's something that you should be mindful of. I know a lot of people believe that same way.
Well, that's what everyone says. I guess I shouldn't drop out, but I feel very hopeless regarding school. But that's a different matter, I guess.

I agree. That's the problem I have with most rappers, but it taught me not to be like them. Why do something you hate yourself, right? About offensive lyrics, I'm not sure if you mean only cursing, but I like Eminem's sarcastic lyrics. Sometimes you just want to piss off some people. :p

I'm sure the guy means well but the chances of you making it is slim. A lot of competition in the music business. Just to be safe I would finish high school and try to go to college. Maybe you could learn to do something else in the music industry as a back up.

If he is asking for money to make you a star I would beware.
I agree, there's a lot of competition in the music industry as a whole, but if a record label sees you as their money making machine, they'll sign you. But, I'll need to wait for another few years to see my destination.

He's not asking for money, free advice. :)
------
Thank you all for replying and sharing your thoughts about this! :D:nod:

Last edited:

Xaos

V.I.P.
Stay. You will regreat it later in life.

katesmith

As many people have stated above ^ I have to agree with them. Staying in school may waste your time but it will also allow you to have more time to think about the career path you want and what could potentially assist you in your rapping career, for example you could also go to a college for a bachelor of music technician which can also give you time to think of more ideas and even have a qualification you may love! Even when you are at school, you can still read books, or the dictionary and still work on your goals, but this way it will open up more opportunities for you :)