Should I correct my boss?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
My boss has been calling this builder we've been working with for years, one of the few builders still giving us work, by the wrong name for as long as we've been working with him. He's butchering the first name, and calling him by the wrong last name, which is actually the name of the building company.

Should I tell him he's been fucking up for 4 years? Should I ask the builder if he wants me to correct FH? Or just let FH continue to look like an ass?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I would ask why he calls the builder that way. It's a way to correct it, at the same time give the benefit of the doubt that he just came up with a personal nickname for them. :hah:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I would be tempted to have him keep looking like an ass just for the hell of it...but I say correct him. There's really no tactful way to do it. If there was an opportunity when he was talking about the guy to you, I would say...do you mean __________?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I printed an article about the builder, thinking I'll write a note on it that says "I think you've been calling him by the wrong name"

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would definitely correct him.. What's he going to do, fire you for it?

He'll feel pretty dumb though and probably deserves to. How hard is it to double check somebody's name before butchering it for 4 years?

It is pretty funny though. :lol:

There's no point in asking the other guy if he wants you to correct your boss. Obviously the guy hasn't corrected him for 4 years now. He has clearly gotten used to it or is just uncomfortable correcting him for some reason. It's his fault too though. Would you let somebody call you by the wrong name for 4 years or would you clear it up with them by at least year 3? I mean, seriously.. :confused:

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Haha, if I were the other guy, I would have corrected it long ago...every single time he called me by the wrong name.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
There might be a cultural reason he has't corrected him. The guy is from Greece; maybe he feels it would be rude to say something? I don't know.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
There might be a cultural reason he has't corrected him. The guy is from Greece; maybe he feels it would be rude to say something? I don't know.
Oh. Hmmm. Is the guy's name particularly hard to pronounce or is your boss really just being an idiot about it?

I've found with people with foreign names that they will not usually correct you if you pronounce their name wrong. I guess it could be that they just think that you're saying it with an accent or something like that. No clue though. It's probably more because he doesn't want to be rude about it.

If your boss is really butchering it like you say then you should just tell him that he really needs to get the name down once and for all. 4 years is long enough. I mean... a few days is a bit long if you ask me.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
He's just being an idiot, Hybrix. Par for the course.

The only reason I'm questioning whether I should correct him is because I'm pretty sure he knows I think he's an idiot, and I'm pretty sure he's sick of me being a bitch to him.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Oh...then perhaps you shouldn't correct him. lol

I had the same issue with one of my previous bosses. I worked in the construction industry and one of our architect contractors was named Mahmoud. The boss never could get it right. I don't know if it's rude or anything, but if I don't know how to pronounce someone's name, I ask them how, and practice it until I get it right. Especially if it's someone I'm going to be working with a lot.

But...if the guy hasn't corrected him by now, and you're pretty sure fh is getting tired of you being a bitch to him...it may be better just to let it go.