Should I Buy Stock As A Gift?

Godsmirror

Registered Member
Would you do this? I am considering it. What I would really like to know though, is if there is any way to do a micro-investment for this purpose. Like only buy a half or quarter share of........say........Amazon.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
Stock can make a great gifts, just don't go through one of those novelty companies where you're charged big bucks for making the stock look pretty. You can give fractional shares through Stockpile, but there are huge fees. I think buying stock through Robinhood is the smartest option because there aren't fees for this range. If you decide to go that route, head here and use MenInTights link and you can get one free stock. Going through any referral link should give you that pay off. It's pretty cool.

NellyBell

Registered Member
I think that's a really nifty idea! Robinhood has been a lot of fun. I'm not sure how you could go about doing this as a gift without their financial information though (unless you happen to have that on hand)...and I'm pretty sure I had to give my social too. Who are you planning on buying stocks for? If it's a family member/someone you'll be buying gifts for in the future, it could be fun to open an account for them that isn't micro-investing so that you could continue to build on it for future gifts. My dad did that for us and we had a nice chunk of change in our names by the time we were 18.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
That's true, NellyBell. I figured the giver could make their own gift certificate and gussy it up so it looked more like a present. I can see what you mean though. There are companies that specialize in stock gifts, but it's at a premium.