Should I be starting out on a negative?

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
A couple of weeks ago i called a magazine editor about a job; i wasn't suited for that role before i called so a asked about writing instead. The editor was really nice and told me to pick up one of their magazines, have a read through and email him an review of something i'd seen recently.

Long story short, i couldn't find the mag in store so i ordered it online and received it yesterday; and before that i bought a new film to watch. I watched said film last night and wasn't impressed with it, but while it was still fresh in my mind i hand wrote a quick draft.

So, my dilemma here is that...i'm not sure if i want to send the editor something negative; i know not all articles can be positive but...it just doesn't seem right to start with something like that :-/

Help!

(if this posts twice, i'm sorry, my net just freaked on me!)

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I actually think negative writing is a good thing. If you like something, you may get excited, and it may clout judgement, and writing skills. You may get over zealous, and a lot of people do.

Writing in critical sense is more grounded. Of course, some people get zealous with negativity too. I know I do. It kind of depends on how critical a person you are.

If your review is well written and constructive - then I don't suppose it really matters. Personally, I would just go for it and do the negative one.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Would you rather start off with a lie and write something positive about it? Seems the obvious option is to go with your honest opinion of it and send in the negative one.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Start out with honesty, negative reviews are just as credible as positive ones. Let me know how you get on, it's something I'm interested in getting into too.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Thanks guys, i'm gonna have a friend or two proof read it and keep you updated :D

Wade8813

Registered Member
Submitting a negative one can show that you have the courage and honesty to give a poor review. On the other hand, if it was good enough to be published by them, it probably has some redeeming qualities - make sure you figure out what those are, and mention them.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I wouldn't worry that the review is negative. Some critics make their careers on being negative and ignoring the best stuff. Just remember that everything is about your tone and style.

And, above all else, have confidence in yourself.