Movies Should Harrison Ford have continued playing Indiana Jones?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts on Harrison Ford picking up his role as Indiana Jones for the upcoming 4th movie? Personally I would have rather seen the series take more of a James Bond approach, and get a new actor to play Indiana.

I think it could have lasted a lot longer if they would have kept the story in the time period it started out in as opposed to fast forwarding a few decades to keep Harrison's age true to the character's age.

Don't get me wrong, Harrison Ford is a great actor, but I think it would have been better for the series for them to have chosen a younger actor to take over the roll.

I still think the movie will be good, I just think they are cutting the series short by leaving such a gap of time untouched. Either way I suppose nothing is stopping them from adding more movies later with a different actor and working to fill in the timeline some more.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I totally disagree with you, I don't think they should take a James Bond approach, because it wouldn't be the same without Harrison Ford. I know he's getting old, but I'm almost 100% sure that he's going to do an amazing job in the next Indiana Jones.

James Bond is a complete difference story, so you cannot really compare this James Bond to Indiana Jones. It would be like replacing Stallone for another actor for the Rocky and Rambo series.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, I do agree that it wouldn't be the same, and don't get me wrong I'm a big Harrison Ford fan.

My thinking was more along the lines of how when Sean Connery was replaced as Bond everybody was worried as to how the next guy would turn out, Same with when Roger Moore was replaced, so on and so forth. They all brought a different feel to the series, but essentially the series has lasted to 21 movies now, as opposed to the 4 that Indiana Jones will soon have.

I think that while it would be different with a different actor, it could still be very good, and we don't technically know if somebody else would do well in the roll since nobody else has been given the opportunity. Not to mention Harrison Ford probably won't be doing action movies forever. He's getting pretty old and he's not going to be able to easily keep up with the roll should fans want to see more movies down the road. He's good for a few more but I think eventually a new actor needs to step into the boots.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
If Stallone can play Rocky AND Rambo at his age, there's no reason why Ford shouldn't be able to play Indiana Jones. :D Whatever happens, it won't be as awkward as Stallone, IMO.

If this is truly the last Indiana Jones movie, then I say just let him have a shot. I think he has it in him.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'd be entirely pissed if they replaced Ford with anyone. As far as I'm concerned, no one will ever do what he did for that character.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
You guys aren't getting at what my point was. Yes I know Harrison Ford created the Indy character we all know and love. Yes I think he did an AWESOME job as Indiana Jones.

My point is that he won't be around to continue the series forever. To me it seems the tradeoff of having one more Indiana Jones movie vs. having 10-20 more with different actors and in the original time period instead of leaving a HUGE gap.

I'm sure the new movie will be good, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have a bunch more movies than a final movie, as this one is being portrayed as.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
I agree with you Micheal_Jordan. The next movie should be great. I couldn't see any other actor playing Indiana anyway.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Actually, I'd rather have a final one.

Hollywood is great at two things: drugs and fucking.

As in, fucking up great things.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Harrison Ford is just old, I mean he's a legend, but old, he is definitely up to this role, but it would have been nice to see a new approach to the already legendary series, he was at his prime back then, keywords: Back then.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I think more Indiana Jones movies would be cool. Harrison Ford is not the only actor to have ever played Indy - River Phoenix (r.i.p. :cry:) played young Indy in The Last Crusade and he was fabulous. Then there was the TV series The Young Inidana Jones Chronicles, with Sean Patrick Flannery as our hero.

Yeah I think they should cast someone else and make more movies.