• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should Food Stamps be restricted for use in purchasing "junk food?"

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts? Do you believe food stamps should be restricted from buying "junk food" e.g. Cookies, Soda, Potatoe Chips, Chocolate, ect. food that is high in calories but low in nutritional value.

Thoughts?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
They used to be. When my mother had fallen on hard times when my sister and I were young and had to get on them, all you could get were the basic essentials, like flour, sugar, etc. No junk food was allowed.

I see no problem with the restrictions, and would personally rather them be in place than not.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't see any problem with restrictions, either. But then again, I'm a person who wouldn't have a problem with taxing junk food.

Buying junk food with food stamps is contrary to the purpose. The whole point is to provide nourishment to children from low-income families. There is nothing nourishing about pop, cookies, chips, etc. The problem lies with where to draw the line. Do you restrict breakfast cereal choices? Bread choices? Should food stamps only go toward "whole" foods - i.e. no packaged and/or processed foods?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I don't see any problem with restrictions, either. But then again, I'm a person who wouldn't have a problem with taxing junk food.

Buying junk food with food stamps is contrary to the purpose. The whole point is to provide nourishment to children from low-income families. There is nothing nourishing about pop, cookies, chips, etc. The problem lies with where to draw the line. Do you restrict breakfast cereal choices? Bread choices? Should food stamps only go toward "whole" foods - i.e. no packaged and/or processed foods?
I think it would be an easy line to draw. Soda, candy, ice cream, slurpees and chips. There are many other horrible choices, but some are more obvious than others. You, I and Dan are probably about the only ones that remember the cheese lines. That was helpful, but demoralizing also. It seems we've swung the other way and now my local gas station has a sign above the fountain soda machines that says "We Take SNAP Benefits! for ALL Food Items!" Its time for a correction.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I see benefits to it, and I see no reason not to - so I say go for it.

Personally, I'd just implement a ban on the most obvious problem foods, and leave the rest. Sure, some cereals or breads are worse than others, but I say just get the worst offenders.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I see more benefits than harm. While I'm not for any sort of government control in my choices, I think that if you're on food stamps, chances are you really need the food and especially if you have kids, your food choice should be healthy and hearty and not empty and sugary.