Should Extra Credit Be Allowed?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
What do you think about teachers that offer extra credit?

I never liked this idea. I feel 100% should be the absolute max grade you can get in any given class. Extra credit is just a way to pad out people's grades and make the students look better if you ask me.

I especially don't agree with things like "Bring in class supplies like paper, pencils, tissues, etc. for extra credit". So basically kids can pay for extra credit? This is definitely unfair to those who's parents never bought these things. Even if they got all the same questions right on tests as somebody else, they have a lower grade in the end because they didn't donate a box of tissues.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I think extra credit should be allowed, but it should be for demonstrating knowledge of the subject that goes above and beyond what students are told they'll be responsible for on quizzes and tests.

Sometimes extra credit is there for people who don't learn as well as others but are willing to work hard.

Do you have a problem with that kind?

I don't think there's anything wrong with extra credit. Do you disagree with before and after school tutoring as well? The reason I ask is because my daughter can't make it to the extra tutoring, but she can bring home the extra credit homework and do it there.
As long as it's related to the class, I think it's fine.

The class supply extra credit is ridiculous.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Extra credit for bringing in class supplies should not be allowed. But I think offering extra credit for students who want to go above and beyond with learning the subject and doing extra work should absolutely be allowed, and even encouraged. Grades should not be a competition between students. School is about learning. Giving incentive to learn more can only be a good thing.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, the problem with extra credit is that it doesn't benefit those who worked hard for their grades. For example, anything over 100% doesn't really benefit a student in the long run, but bringing your grade from a C to a B or a B to an A makes those who got legitimate A's stand out less.
------
Grades should not be a competition between students. School is about learning. Giving incentive to learn more can only be a good thing.
I disagree to an extent. The job market is extremely competitive. Why shouldn't students who excel be given a better opportunity than those who didn't, or did so to a lesser degree?
------
Also, I would support extra credit as long as the highest grade in the class was no more than 100%. So basically a curve grading system that took extra credit into account. But I don't think teachers should be able to grade on a curve of more than +-5%. If the highest grade in the class is a 75% then it shouldn't be curved to 100%, for example.

Last edited:

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I think there's a law or at least a policy in our school that says teachers can only give grades for assignments. So they can't give you points for random tasks like bringing your textbook next week.

Very few teachers I've had have offered extra credit assignments. My economics teacher was the only one that did within recent memory. It was actually a mini project of sorts, so it wasn't like a BS assignment either.

But now instead of giving extra points, teachers drop your lowest homework grade or something. They don't drop quizzes or tests. I think that's better than adding points.

Hybrix, just because a child isn't doing as well as another student doesn't mean they aren't working hard for a good grade, it may just be a subject they struggle with.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Hybrix, just because a child isn't doing as well as another student doesn't mean they aren't working hard for a good grade, it may just be a subject they struggle with.
So? That's what extra curricular tutoring is for right?

Grading should be based on how well you did in the class, not how hard you worked or studied. I've had my fair share of bad grades. Regardless of how hard I studied I never felt like it was unfair if I got a bad grade.

Do you at least agree that extra credit should be limited to no more than 5% of the grade? I could live with that. What gets me is when teachers give a lot of extra credit and let students make up a ton of points in their free time by doing essays or whatever. Their grade in the end doesn't fairly or correctly reflect their performance in the class.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Well, the problem with extra credit is that it doesn't benefit those who worked hard for their grades. For example, anything over 100% doesn't really benefit a student in the long run, but bringing your grade from a C to a B or a B to an A makes those who got legitimate A's stand out less.

I disagree to an extent. The job market is extremely competitive. Why shouldn't students who excel be given a better opportunity than those who didn't, or did so to a lesser degree?

Also, I would support extra credit as long as the highest grade in the class was no more than 100%. So basically a curve grading system that took extra credit into account. But I don't think teachers should be able to grade on a curve of more than +-5%. If the highest grade in the class is a 75% then it shouldn't be curved to 100%, for example.
What difference does it make in the job market? At the K-12 level the most important thing is to learn, not to compete. The kids who get good grades will get into good colleges. And I would argue that the kids who want to put more effort into it and do more work than everyone else are more deserving of the good jobs. Competition in school just leads to insecurities among the students who aren't as smart.
------
What gets me is when teachers give a lot of extra credit and let students make up a ton of points in their free time by doing essays or whatever. Their grade in the end doesn't fairly or correctly reflect their performance in the class.
If at the end of the year the student who did poorly most of the year but did all the extra credit learned as much as the student who learned it all doing the minimum amount of work, why would they NOT deserve the same grade?

I agree, extra credit shouldn't make up for lack of participation or effort in class. But it should be available for the students who didn't do as well on the tests and assignments and are obviously having a harder time learning the material.

Last edited: