• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should ex-cons get all their constitutional rights back?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is for Americans obiviously.

Should ex-convicts get all their constitutional rights back after release from their debt to society?

For example, should they have the right to bear arms again?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It depends on the crime really. I mean, I want to say yes but if you have a guy who was selling guns illegally (and managed to get out of prison legally) I'd have to imagine that his access to guns would be a bit restricted. Other than that, I don't see a lot of reason to support criminals losing their rights. It's like saying they're not Americans anymore which just isn't true.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think this can be applied to all countries - obviously they won't base things on our constitution, but they still have rights that criminals can lose/regain.

Off the top of my head, the right to bear arms is the only one I can see being restricted. I'm not sure if illegal guns dealers need to lose that right, but I'd say violent criminals probably should.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Why not illegal guns dealers? They obviously have no patience for the law or else they'd be selling legally. You could argue restricting their 2nd amendment rights wouldn't do much in that case more than anything.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Nope, they should not get any rights back if they forfeited them due to their conviction. I don't want them to have a gun, to vote, or to hold an elected office. They owe society a debt.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Nope, they should not get any rights back if they forfeited them due to their conviction. I don't want them to have a gun, to vote, or to hold an elected office. They owe society a debt.
Did you read the OP? This is assuming they've paid that debt already. Should they be allowed to gain any rights back?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Yes I read the OP, and no I don't consider being inprisioned the same as paying the debt.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yes I read the OP, and no I don't consider being inprisioned the same as paying the debt.
So, just to explore this a bit, how would they pay that debt back? Is it possible? I mean, there are criminals that actually manage to turn their lives around. It's not very common, but it happens. Should they be allowed any rights in return?

Wade8813

Registered Member
Why not illegal guns dealers? They obviously have no patience for the law or else they'd be selling legally. You could argue restricting their 2nd amendment rights wouldn't do much in that case more than anything.
It could be argued that many criminals have no patience for the law. But that doesn't necessarily mean they should lose their rights.

A violent offender, on the other hand, is the type of person who we want to make it harder for them to re-offend (either in a fit of rage, or in a premeditated manner).

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
For clarification this applies to felony convictions, not misdeameanor convictions. In other words if you serve 6 months for a Class A misdemeanor you don't lose any of your rights. Also, in addition to losing the right to bear arms you lose the right to vote.

I would say no, they should not get those rights back. The rights that we have should be treated with much more respect and having a felony conviction shows a total disregard of the law.