• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should DVRs be illegal?

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm betting that a lot of people here at GF have a DVR, I certainly have one. I like how I can record something and watch it later at my convenience. My favorite function though? Skipping commercials.

It is perfectly legal, but I don't know why. TV really wouldn't exist without commercials and having a DVR allows for you to skip straight through them without giving them second though. This sort of makes me wonder why DVRs are legal in the first place.

I see us moving to an almost netflix style cable in the future where most everything is streamed (except for the stuff that has to be done live). With that will come forced commercials I believe. I'm not looking forward to the day because I've become quite accustomed to not watching them.

What do you think about this? Should DVRs be made illegal? Should some sort of safeguard be put in place to make people view the commercials?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I can sum up my entire thought process in one question: if VCRs weren't made illegal, why would/should DVRs?

Jim_Raynor

Registered Member
Without a DVR watching tv would just be the most unbearable thing ever. Probably about 1/3 of every show is made of commercials. Imagine just how much tv you wouldn't watch because you had to suffer through all of those commercials. Maybe it could be a good thing because of it making you watch less tv. But I don't think that they ever should be illegal because if they are, everyone would just switch to watching netfilx instead of that. So there isn't even a point to.

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
DVRs being illegal? That's just silly! I've had a DVR for over seven years and the way I can fast-forward and rewind shows is just incredible! I even recorded the holiday parades each year and watch them until after Christmas. I don't see why DVRs should be illegal.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I can tell you right now that I'd be more likely to pirate if I did not have a DVR. The DVR takes the VCR, cassette tape, and DVD recorder and apply that principal to a hard drive. If you make the DVR illegal you have to make all home recording illegal.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not sure but isn't recording something off TV that is copyrighted illegal just like downloading copyrighted material is on the internet. They just don't have a way to know if you are doing it like with the internet.

Sim

Registered Member
I grew up with VHS video recorders. It's a totally sick and disgusting idea to me that the consumer shall be forced to be screwed over hard by big business bribing off the government even more than he already is.

It has always been totally normal for me that I can record anything from tv I like, as long as I just use it for personal purposes. I have been doing that for more than 20 years, first on VHS, then on DVD.

Since I have more money, I prefer buying tv series and movies on DVD/BD or streaming anyway and hardly ever watch regular tv anymore, except for news, live sport events or political reports. Mostly because I can't stand commercials and because I only have SD tv and BDs simply provide better quality.

So if they ever made recording from SD tv illegal, I'd probably give up watching tv alltogether in favor of online streaming and BDs.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
DVRs being illegal? That's just silly! I've had a DVR for over seven years and the way I can fast-forward and rewind shows is just incredible! I even recorded the holiday parades each year and watch them until after Christmas. I don't see why DVRs should be illegal.
Yeah, I know it's convenient. That's not what this thread is about though. It's about questioning the legality of it.

I can tell you right now that I'd be more likely to pirate if I did not have a DVR. The DVR takes the VCR, cassette tape, and DVD recorder and apply that principal to a hard drive. If you make the DVR illegal you have to make all home recording illegal.
Doc, you already do pirate...

Yeah, this thread is about home recording in general. I only chose the DVR as a focus because I don't ever hear about people recording to a VHS tape (or even a DVD) anymore.

I'm not sure but isn't recording something off TV that is copyrighted illegal just like downloading copyrighted material is on the internet. They just don't have a way to know if you are doing it like with the internet.
A DVR is a computer, there are definitely ways to track who is recording what. I guess DVRs are different because of the time shifting principle. This means that you aren't meant to keep things on there permanently and you aren't distributing it to others.

So if they ever made recording from SD tv illegal, I'd probably give up watching tv alltogether in favor of online streaming and BDs.
That's an interesting point to make. I'm sure you're not the only one that thinks like that either. I'd be much less inclined to watch TV at all (I'd force myself to watch NBA basketball) if DVRs were made illegal.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Doc, you already do pirate...

Yeah, this thread is about home recording in general. I only chose the DVR as a focus because I don't ever hear about people recording to a VHS tape (or even a DVD) anymore.
I don't pirate shows that are still airing on TV because I can just record them on my DVR every week.

Jadae

Registered Member
The biggest problem is that premium cable is littered with commercials, there are very few choices for service providers now (almost a monopoly in some areas), and the costs and tricks are continuously rising. To me, this topic is about a war between the consumer and business, duking it out for what real value actually is, and I am sure it will continue for some time.