• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should dunking be illegal?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know the Millz feels strongly about this so I wanted to start a thread about it. Do you believe that dunking in a Basketball game should be illegal?

Thoughts?

Sabby

When I saw this thread I though it said should Drinking be illegal. I almost fell off my chair. Hmm I don;t think it should be it's become part of the game.

TORHABSFAN

why would it be illegal? that makes no sense? Should the foward pass be illegal in Football?

First off basketball sucks and I don't know why anybody watches that shit.. but the dunk seems to be the thing that people love the most.

Why make a a shitty sport even shittier?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know that its not something that will ever ever change but for me I think basketball would be more enjoyable if they got rid of it.

Shaq woulda never made it to the NBA if he couldn't dunk. You'd ween out overrated players like him.

My Dad and I joke all the time it should be illegal and maybe guys would learn to shoot the ball. Let's face it though, its never going to happen.

I can't watch ESPN Top 10 plays these days. It's always a dunk here or a dunk there when someone in the NHL is making an awesome play that is overlooked.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of banning the dunk. It should be legal in the NBA but maybe it could be banned in high school and/or college play. It would help to nurture the development of other skills while the players are the most impressionable.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Dickey's Flow said:
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of banning the dunk. It should be legal in the NBA but maybe it could be banned in high school and/or college play. It would help to nurture the development of other skills while the players are the most impressionable.
Hmmm...now there's an idea. You may be onto something there.

Dunking makes the NBA money so you can't get rid of it. Its like getting rid of Home Runs in baseball; its bad business. But I agree if you ban it in high school or college it might deter some kids from relying on it.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I really don't watch basketball, but I'd have to question it if they got rid of the dunk. I don't see why there's any reason to ban it.

knickstape2107

Registered Member
Are you serious?? The point of basketball is to get the ball IN the basket. If you can dunk, you can dunk. SHAQ is not overrated. If you think he is overrated, you never watched him play. You never watched his post moves, defense, etc. You dont get into the top 10 All time in scoring by just dunking the ball. Dunking is part of the game. Not everyone can dunk. But thise who can should be allowed to as it is a way to put the ball in the hoop. Explain what's wrong with dunking? If someone can do it, let em. I actually have 2 friends who can dunk and they're only in 8th grade.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
knickstape2107 said:
Are you serious?? The point of basketball is to get the ball IN the basket. If you can dunk, you can dunk. SHAQ is not overrated. If you think he is overrated, you never watched him play. You never watched his post moves, defense, etc. You dont get into the top 10 All time in scoring by just dunking the ball. Dunking is part of the game. Not everyone can dunk. But thise who can should be allowed to as it is a way to put the ball in the hoop. Explain what's wrong with dunking? If someone can do it, let em. I actually have 2 friends who can dunk and they're only in 8th grade.
Your very last sentence is part of the bigger problem. That's not a good thing, that's a bad thing. These days the NBA is all about flash and how awesome of a dunker you are. Nobody plays defense, nobody plays fundamental basketball.

One of the best coaches in history, John Wooden, also has this old school approach.

I was a huge NBA fan growing up. The sport today, IMO, is nearly unwatchable. If I wanna see dunks and idiots showing off I'll just play NBA Jam.

TORHABSFAN

It's about those things because the rest is anti climatic. And that is why i hate basketball.

When do you cheer?

In Hockey, Football, baseball and especially soccer a scoring play is a major deal.

You cheer your ass off because it has a massive impact on the game. You may only see 1 goal or 1 TD (hopefully not but it's possible) So you let it all out.. I call this orgasim effect..

In basketball a basket is made.. why bother getting excited another 1 is less then 24 seconds away followed by 50 more just like it. I basket has no Orgasim effect unless it's in the last 2 minutes of a close game. So why the fuck should I watch until then?

That's why people cheer the flashy plays because it's just more exciting then an average jump shot. with out the flash basket Ball has nothing to cheer for.

Also it's a part of the culture. basketball is all about selling that hip hop cool image. it's all about individuals showing off.

When the Leafs schedule comes out fans say when are the Habs or Sens coming.. Yeah they may say when is Sid comming but mostly it's about teams.

In basketball when the Raps sched comes out people say when is Labron coming, or Kobe or This guy or that guy. Nobody really cares about teams it's about superstars.

The Dunk is the centre piece of that. so with out that basketball doesn't have much left.