Should divorce be made even easier to obtain

Should divorce be made easier

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

snowflake

Registered Member
If a marriage is left without love, or if one partner is unhappy, then it should end.
There is no point holding on in such a situation for the sake of a principle.

By making divorces faster and easier to obtain, we are reducing the incidence of adultery, both during a marriage and during the course of the divorce proceedings. The proposition would allow people to make the break more easily, rather than living a deceitful double life.

I can't stand the thought of being in a 'life-long commitment' with someone who I didn't want to be with anymore. Thats probably the main reason I don't see myself ever getting married. But if I was in that situation, then I'd want out. Divorce should be made easier.
However its slightly different if kids are involved. The parents should try harder to work it out and stick at it a bit. But if all else fails, I don't think any two people who don't belong together should be together. I feel sorry who those who are unhappily married, it must suck.
Make the break easier then maybe some people wont get stuck in a mess they can't be bothered to get out of because its simply too much hassle.

snowflake

Registered Member
If the parent's carn't work it out though, maybe a divorce is better for the children. And sometimes a quick one too, But i don't think a married couple should stay together for there childrens sake ! I think if it's over , better to deal with it fast rather than dragging it on for ages when both parties could be getting on with there lifes.

Last edited:
If the parent's carn't work it out though, maybe a divorce is better for the children. And sometimes a quick one too, But i don't think a married couple should stay together for there childrens sake ! I think if it's over , better to deal with it fast rather than dragging it on for ages when both parties could be getting on with there lifes.
Definately agree :) Staying together just for the sake of the kids is not good. I didn't mean it like that... I guess I meant it wouldn't be good if divorce was made so easy that parents just split up because they were gonig through a stressful patch, when for all they know they never fell out of love they just had to put more effort in.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
No.

I have never been through a divorce, but I think it should be a lot harder than is it now, because it will make people think even harder about Marriage. If divorce was easier, then too many people will Marry left right and centre which will make a mocker of what divorce is. I know their are many legitimate reasons for divorce. I am not against divorce as such.

No.

I have never been through a divorce, but I think it should be a lot harder than is it now, because it will make people think even harder about Marriage. If divorce was easier, then too many people will Marry left right and centre which will make a mocker of what divorce is. I know their are many legitimate reasons for divorce. I am not against divorce as such.

Yeah thats the downside. Makes marriage sort of more likely, which I don't think is a good thing. However, its not like when a young couple thinks about marriage they consider how easy divorce is these days before they go ahead and do it. I do see your point though.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
Yeah thats the downside. Makes marriage sort of more likely, which I don't think is a good thing. However, its not like when a young couple thinks about marriage they consider how easy divorce is these days before they go ahead and do it. I do see your point though.

I think you'd be surprised. A lot of the poorer educated members of society choose to Marry for the wedding, Marry for the cash, Marry for the gifts [for their home,] Marry 'for a while'... ... ...
It's a step-up from having a Baby just so you can get your own home, or so you can hang-out with the other Mothers.

I think over the years, education has fluctuated, but the lower times are closer together
. Towns and cities of poorly educated Children and wannabe gangsters have grown into adults and had their own less than bright offspring with an unrealistic view of life.

Education, or a lack-thereof has much to answer to.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I think divorce should remain just as hard as it already is.

Seriously, if you weren't ready to get married, you had no business getting married.

Divorce can get so messy, and children constantly become nothing more than playing chips in the hands of warring parents --> I have no sympathy for people who constantly butt heads, and cannot work out any of their problems without some sort of ultimatum.

Obviously, mistakes can be made, and people can change (and adulterate) later on in life, so in cases like that I have no problem with divorce.

People that live their lives with their finger on the divorce button do not need a bigger divorce button --> They need to learn to take life just a little bit more seriously.

So, yes, I think it should be expensive and I think it should be difficult --> That way, it only becomes an option when you are actually serious about needing a divorce.

snowflake

Registered Member
What about a messy divorce that involves children, shouldn't that be made easier?
One where it affects the children. I know this should never happen but it does in many cases !!

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I didn't vote in the poll because I'm not sure what degree of difficulty the question is based on. The degree of difficulty in obtaining a divorce varies bases on several different factors - whether there are minor children, how much property there is to be divided, how bitter or cooperative each party is being, what state/country the parties reside in, etc.

Those of you who have never been married and/or divorced really don't know what it's like to go through a divorce. You have nothing to base your opinions on. The decision to divorce is rarely an easy one to make, and I seriously doubt that many people go into marriage thinking "oh well, if it doesn't work out I can always get divorced". But sometimes divorce is absolutely the right choice. People change, circumstances change, emotions change.

We've had this thread before and it got really ugly, mostly because of the contributions of people who have not themselves been faced with the prospect of divorce.

I'm begging you all who have not been in the situation to please not pass judgement on anyone who has. It's an extremely painful process to go through, even if it's the right thing to do.