Should Congress Have Extended Unemployment Benefts?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
It doesn't matter how long it lasts, the problem is how the program is run. I was on unemployment for three months and I all I had to do (I was doing it online) to collect my weekly benefits was to click a little box that said "I looked for work this week." To me, that's a major portion of the problem. I think you should have to fax them at least 12 applications you've filed in the past month or else your benefits get cut. Sure people can just turn down jobs they get accepted to but at least it will force people who are just mooching off the state to get off their asses.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Better yet make them work to get a check. I don't care if it is picking up trash 2 days a week at a local park, make them earn it.

I have witnessed many times people just wanting someone to sign their sheet saying they applied for a job. They didn't want a job.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
No offense SS, but you strike me as a guy who has never had to deal with the situation or else you'd at least understand a bit of the reason behind unemployment. Yes, there are going to be moochers but in a day and age when people with degrees in culinary arts get turned down by Burger King (I'm trying to find the link, but I read it a few weeks ago) I'd say we need a bit of help for those struggling to find work.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
No offense SS, but you strike me as a guy who has never had to deal with the situation or else you'd at least understand a bit of the reason behind unemployment. Yes, there are going to be moochers but in a day and age when people with degrees in culinary arts get turned down by Burger King (I'm trying to find the link, but I read it a few weeks ago) I'd say we need a bit of help for those struggling to find work.
You would be wrong then. But I have never collected unemployment. I do understand the reason for unemployment insurance and I also understand borrowing money from china to give people (future political dependents) money is just welfare by another name. It is not unemployment insurance.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm also not going to be buying any more "insurance" any time soon. Since certain people in this country have no problem with insurance companies going with little to no regulation (and crying when more is suggested) I'm going to stay clear of those rip offs. If I wasn't able to collect unemployment for those three months, I would have lost my car (and thus my job prospects) and fallen into a deeper hole than I can get out of.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I don't have a problem with unemployment insurance. But that is a government enforced and administered program. Employers are required have that insurance and to pay for it. What they're doing now is a whole different thing.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't have a problem with unemployment insurance. But that is a government enforced and administered program. Employers are required have that insurance and to pay for it. What they're doing now is a whole different thing.
Problem is, that's not something companies readily offer, or most of them anyways. You have to work there for an extended period of time or fit some other criteria and that's all fine and dandy but it doesn't work so well in a day and age when a job may only last half a year.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Problem is, that's not something companies readily offer, or most of them anyways. You have to work there for an extended period of time or fit some other criteria and that's all fine and dandy but it doesn't work so well in a day and age when a job may only last half a year.
They must be offered and the government sets the criteria for eligibility. Suprise! Guess what? Business will naturally seek to limit their exposure to this liability. Isn't government intervention wonderful. Good intentions and poor results.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Better yet make them work to get a check. I don't care if it is picking up trash 2 days a week at a local park, make them earn it.

I have witnessed many times people just wanting someone to sign their sheet saying they applied for a job. They didn't want a job.
That's all good and well for you to say, but who is going to oversee a system like that? I'd be willing to do some work to get a check, but a) my former employer already paid the payroll taxes that went into the fund from which my unemployment check is coming, and b) who is going to make sure that everyone who is collecting unemployment is doing some work to "earn" it? That would require more taxes in order to pay a person/people to oversee a program such as that.

Yes, they were right to extend unemployment benefits, because unemployment pays more than welfare, therefore it keeps more money flowing into the economy.

The fact of the matter is, there are very very few jobs out there for those of us who have found ourselves unemployed through no fault of our own. The only jobs I've seen posted locally are in the health care field. I am not currently qualified for any of those jobs, but I am working toward that, and in the mean time, my unemployment benefits are making it possible for me to meet my financial obligations.