• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should college players be paid?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This has been another hot button issue over the past couple weeks with the agent saying he's paid players over the years and then you've got the Reggie Bush alligations, etc.

So, what do you think? Should college players make any money? Coaches make money and the universities make millions of dollars off of these kids.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I do not think they should be paid. They are basically getting paid already in the form of scholarships. A lot of people would love the opportunity for a free college education.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Echoes beat me to it, no I don't believe they should get paid at all. These College students are fortunate to attend some of the best schools in the country to play Football, and most of them don't have to pay a dime to go to school. It would be quite ridiculous if they got paid on top of that.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I will start this off by saying I don't think they should be paid but it's an interesting debate so I'll go on the other side for a second.

Those who think they should be paid seem to argue that students should be paid because of the huge revenues they have generated for the colleges and universities. (like I mentioned above) On top of that they believe that if you pay the student-athletes it would alleviate problems related to illegal payments and point shaving. Also, that paying student athletes would provide athletes an incentive to stay in school finish their degree instead of jumping ship to the pro's early. On top of that if they stay all 4 years they'll be better prepared for life after college.

I do believe a lot of student athletes are being exploited by the colleges that make so much money off of them. They make millions of dollars yet the student athletes don't have enough money to even eat. Granted, it's true they are getting paid to go to school and don't have to worry about that expense but considering the money they are generating it's not really fair. Scholarships aren't always "full rides" either...they don't 100% pay for college and some of these kids leave early from college to the pro's because they cannot afford it and they see all this money staring them in the face.

So that's enough blabbering...just thought I'd look at the opposite side of the arugment.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree with both Echoes and BR, no they shouldn't get paid. They are already getting an education paid for and to pay them on top of that would be ridiculous. In fact, a part of me feels they shouldn't even get as much as they do by way of scholarships.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I don't think that college athletes should get paid from the revenue that they make during the games...most athletes have a free ride through out college and don't have to worry about expenses except for food and beer which the parents usually take care of that.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I will start this off by saying I don't think they should be paid but it's an interesting debate so I'll go on the other side for a second.

Those who think they should be paid seem to argue that students should be paid because of the huge revenues they have generated for the colleges and universities. (like I mentioned above) On top of that they believe that if you pay the student-athletes it would alleviate problems related to illegal payments and point shaving. Also, that paying student athletes would provide athletes an incentive to stay in school finish their degree instead of jumping ship to the pro's early. On top of that if they stay all 4 years they'll be better prepared for life after college.

I do believe a lot of student athletes are being exploited by the colleges that make so much money off of them. They make millions of dollars yet the student athletes don't have enough money to even eat. Granted, it's true they are getting paid to go to school and don't have to worry about that expense but considering the money they are generating it's not really fair. Scholarships aren't always "full rides" either...they don't 100% pay for college and some of these kids leave early from college to the pro's because they cannot afford it and they see all this money staring them in the face.

So that's enough blabbering...just thought I'd look at the opposite side of the arugment.
Yeah, I've thought about that too and I agree, those are great arguments. Schools make millions of dollars a year on these kids and while they are getting an education most times they don't have food money and even working for the food money can violate NCAA rules.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I would assume the scholarships cover room and board and meals and everything. Yes, the schools make millions of dollars, but look at how much they give just through scholarships. A lot of these schools cost $30,000 a year or more. Multiply that by the 85 scholarships for football alone and that's already over $2.5 million without taking into account the dozens of other sports that an athletics program might have.

Football and men's basketball are really the only two collegiate sports that bring in a lot of revenue. Pretty much everything else operates at a loss. Can you pay the football and basketball players without paying EVERY student-athlete? A lot of athletic programs are already struggling to break even. If they have to start paying athletes to say competitive with other schools, what's going to end up happening is that they'll have to cut other sports out of the program completely. Ticket prices and everything else would go up a lot. I just don't see any good coming from it.