• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should College Athletes get paid?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are your thoughts on the subject? We see so many college athletes get punished because they accept some sort of money, cars, a new house, ect.

Do you think it's time to pay College Athletes?

knickstape2107

Registered Member
Atletes should get paid. They make the money for the NCAA and they r the reason we watch.

RedcoatRanger

Yes! Given the way College athletes perform at such a high level they deserve to be paid.

The amount of money made by NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB stars is sometimes absurd so how can NCAA athletes not get a wage for what they do?

sheldonbowyer

No.

The NCAA is for education. It's called "student-athlete" for a reason.

If they are so determined to be a professional, skip college, work out on your own for how many ever years your league of choice has set, and see how that turns out. Yes, the NCAA makes money on these athletes. They also provide a free education to many, improve their schools and campuses with the money earned. Seems as though the education part keeps getting lost in this equation.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
My take: I'm not allowed to get paid when I do an internship for college, so therefore student athletes shouldn't get paid either, even if their programs do bring millions of dollars into their university.

Sabby

Most NCAA athletes get full scholarships to University. In the states tuition, books, housing is around 40-60K a year!!, A free ride seems like a fair reimbursement for their services. Also not to mention acess to the best gyms, nutritional info and coaching in the nation, I'd say they're doing alright

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Sabby said:
Most NCAA athletes get full scholarships to University. In the states tuition, books, housing is around 40-60K a year!!, A free ride seems like a fair reimbursement for their services. Also not to mention acess to the best gyms, nutritional info and coaching in the nation, I'd say they're doing alright
This. People seem to forget about this. But I will say, that some of the NCAA's rules regarding gifts are a bit of a joke. I understand not allowing guys to receive a car and things along those lines, but you can't even give a player a picture that you took of him during a game because it counts as a gift :roll:

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
While I'm not so sure about pay, the school's should make sure they take care of all injured players and cover their medical bills and recovery. I mean yes the players know the risks but they deserve the support of the school for putting their body on the line game in and game out

knickstape2107

Registered Member
They deserve to get paid. I think Mike Davis, the WR of the University of Texas, said or tweeted it best(@MikeDavis_1). He tweeted "People don't even kno what we go through sometimes. People think since we (athletes) play sports we getting money?? "
Along with that he added a picture. In the pic, it said,
"Average Football Scholarship-$10,000/yr
Average hours spent on football-43.3/wk
Which works out to $4.44/hr
Average minimum wage in U.S.$7.25/hr"

That tweet explains it. It's time for change. MILLIONS watch college sports every day and the athletes make MILLIONS for the college.