Should Chimps be Legal as Pets?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Mirage, Mar 4, 2009.

?

Should Chimps be Legal as Pets?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Good lord.. We all heard about the story a few weeks ago where a lady was mauled by a chimpanzee. Well, I didn't actually read the story at the time so I kind of assumed it was just cuts and scratches. I couldn't have been more wrong. For those like me who didn't look into this, it's one of the worst things that could happen to somebody.

She now has no hands, no nose, no lips, no eyelids, is probably permanently blind, and is now said to be suffering brain damage too.

FOXNews.com - Chimpanzee Victim May Have Brain Damage - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

The victim was actually a friend of the owner of the chimp. This is way worse than I thought when I first heard about this. OMG! :shocked:

The owner might face criminal charges now as well.

This thing weight 200 pounds and was stronger than several full grown men. Should animals such as chimpanzee's be legally allowed to be kept as pets?

Why or why not?

I always thought it would be cool to own one until I read into this story a bit more. I say absolutely not. Animals that are more powerful than full grown humans should not be kept as pets. No animal can be fully trained anyway. Even after years of no problems at all, animals can turn on their owners or others, sometimes for reasons we don't understand.

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Chimps to me are no different than Owning a large snake or a Big Cat. They are a wild animal whom's instincts will not just go away because they are cute. :hah:

I was actually listening to the radio today and there was a guy talking about Chimp attacks ironically. He said he was holding this chimp and the trainer made a funny face said "nope we're done here", picked the chimp up and put it back in the cage.

And the guy asked "well why did you do that? what would have happened if you werent here?". He told him, it wouldnt have been good. That Chimps are in fact very primal and have 2 goals they achieve when they get scared or uncomfortable with someone;

#1: They break your jaw because they are scared of getting bitten
    #2: They rip at your genitals because they are afraid of being raped.

Now how accurate that is to truth I dont know, I'm not a chimp expert. But I had to laugh at how serious that actually is though. If I thought of every time I got uncomfortable around someone and converted that into Breaking Jaws and Ripping off Junk... thats pretty serious.

So yeah, Chimps are just as dangerous and wild as a Snake or Big Cat. IMO Normal people probably shouldnt own any of these wild creatures, but alas I'm not going to tell them no if they have the means to sustain such a habit of collecting critters.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think they should be legal to own if you have a license that shows you know how to properly train them and have a suitable place to keep them. Should any average Joe be allowed to own a chimp? Absolutely not. Not only for the owner's safety, but also for the animal's well-being. I don't think most people are capable of giving a chimp a happy life like they can with a dog or cat.

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

No, chimpanzees are wild animals and violent ones at that. Chimp society is very violent.

5. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I don't think they should be kept as pets. They are wild animals and even if you can train them (as Hybrix said) you cannot ensure that they are 100% safe and that they won't turn on you one day. If an animal is stronger than a human, and may even be a danger to either the owner/owner's family or any other humans then I believe that that animal should be left to be a wild animal.

6. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I think chimpanzee's should be kept as pets as long as you have a special license for it and that you are specially trained to handled the chimpanzee. They should also make it soo strict that you are required to carry a tranquilizer gun just in case the chimpanzee gets out of control and that there are 3 other people with you that have tranquilizer guns also.

It's sad to hear what happend to that lady and I hope that she recovers well.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I don't know much about chimps (risks and needs) but I agree with Echoes' post. If it's feasible to keep a chimp as a pet with proper training, why not?

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

You have to get a special license as it is though. I don't know this for a fact but according to articles I've read on this chimp attack, the owner had had the chimp for several years. At least since 2003. No episodes really until now, from what I've read.

Just out of the blue tears somebody's hands and face off. For all we know the guy could have been a trainer or at least very competent with chimps.

9. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Invite them round for a banana or two but don't keep them as a pet. They should be admired and hugged from time to time - not trapped in a house.

10. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

No animal is predictable. Not chimps and not even dogs. I've heard of cases where rottwielers attacked the members of their family.
    But do people own dogs as pets? Yes, since 99.999% of the cases the dogs are docile.
    Should people own chimps as pets? No way. They can have the chimps in a facility and take care of them there but keep them away from everyone else.