Should burning the US Flag be a criminal offense?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Do you believe burning the US Flag be a criminal offense?

I personally don't believe so, I don't think it's right to do so, but I don't think someone should get criminal charges for burning the American Flag.

Don't get me wrong, I believe it's total disrespect doing so, but shouldn't be against the law.

2. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Nah it shouldn't be, doesn't burning the flag come under the right of free speech? By burning the flag isn't someone making a stand for something?

What this thing i heard where you can't raise a flag higher than the US one?

3. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I don't think it should be either. As Pugz said, freedom of speech. They could be making a statement.

4. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

"They seem to be under the illusion that when they set fire to the flag that they are indeed burning OUR flag. I am sorry to disappoint them but they went out and bought that flag with their hard earned cash and therefore are not burning OUR flag but THEIR flag."

David Mitchell - Mock the Week

----------------------

They should not arrest anyone for burning a flag, they can always consider arresting them on alternative charges; arson, disturbing the peace, littering, public safety the list is endless!

also;
    What is so special about the US flag that burning it should be considered illegal? it should be all flags or no flags!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  5. padd

padd Registered Member

Burning a flag is the pinacle of disrespect to one country, of course it should be punishable by law. I don't see why it's so cool to burn down your own flag. When you burn a flag the only freeddom speach your saying is "fuck you America you suck".. Okay then, if America sucks so badly.. then leave.

6. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

You're supposed to burn the flag when it touches the ground, out of respect for the flag. If you punished that by law, there'd be a shitton of military people in jail because of it.

And I don't think freedom of speech covers burning a flag. I think the freedom to protest would be closer. But even then, it has to be within the bounds of safety. Fucking people just like to cover everything with freedom of speech without actually knowing much more about the other freedoms.

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

No, it shouldn't be illegal. Except maybe if you're in the military and you do it as a sign of protest. The military courts could handle that, not federal courts.

I don't understand why a flag is considered so sacred that you can't burn it... but you can wear it as your underwear.

8. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Exactly lol

I think if it's my property I can burn whatever the hell I want including a fricken flag. Might go out and buy one just to burn it now. I'm sure my neighbors and I will have a grand ole time doing it too.

9. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

It's not that easy to leave, Padd. You can't just pick up your stuff and go, it would cost a lot of money that the person may not have.

And sure it's disrespect, but then should telling your parents to shut up or go fuck themselves be illegal as well?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

No, it shouldn't be illegal. Disrespectful? Yes. But who is it hurting? It's a piece of fabric.