Should Big Ben be allowed to play in the preseason?

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm just using Big Ben as an example in this thread, but the question is directed to every suspended player.

As you know Big Ben is suspended for the first few games of the 2010-11 season, but he's allowed to play in the preseason games.

Do you believe he should be allowed or not?

Personally, I don't believe he should play at all till his suspension is done with. I know the preseason doesn't count for anything, but if your suspension is announced during the off-season then you should be allowed to play at all.

Thoughts?

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I think he should be allowed. The preseason games are meant to be used as practice/dress rehearsal for the real deal. Not letting him play at least one preseason game would hurt the whole team in the long run. The games don't count, anyway.

3. Babe_Ruth

What does it matter if it hurts the team if he's not allowed to play in the preseason? He hurt his team by his actions during the off-season. If the commissioner suspended him three weeks before training camp starts than he shouldn't be allowed to play at all.

I know the preseason doesn't count, but the point is to teach them a lesson, letting them play a bit kind of beats the purpose in my opinion.

4. Doc

The actions of one do not reflect on the actions of the whole.

5. Babe_Ruth

I know that, but what I'm trying to say is that he already hurt the team. He's their star quarterback and now he's going to miss four or six games.

He's the one that kept getting in trouble, he got suspended for it and he shouldn't be on the football field till his suspension is over. Doesn't matter if it hurts the team, right now they should be concentrating on who's going to replace Big Ben during those games. He shouldn't see playing time at all, even if the games don't count.

6. Doc

I respect and understand what you're saying. I don't feel that the NFL should punish the Steelers any more than Ben already has.

7. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't think Big Ben should be allowed to play in the preseason. If he wants to get his reps in during practice that's fine but actual games are a different story. Ben's actions affect the Steelers and the Steelers actions affect Big Ben.

He shouldn't be allowed to get game practice in IMO. The preseason is there to get ready for the regular season. Well, since he was a dumbass he should to wait until his suspension is lifted.

8. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I have no problem with it. He's suspended for the regular season, not the pre-season. That's the difference. The pre-season doesn't matter, period. It's not an accurate way of evaluating talent because it's rare that the people you are evaluating are playing against the starters.

9. Babe_Ruth

Bob, the bottom line is that he's suspended, he shouldn't be allowed to play at all. I understand that he's allowed to practice, since it's a good way to avoid injuries, but playing letting him play in preseason doesn't make much sense to me. I don't care if it doesn't count, he's suspended meaning he can't play.

10. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I was actually dumbfounded when I saw he was playing because I thought a suspension was a suspension no matter if its preseason or not. He shouldn't have been playing IMO.

Babe_Ruth likes this.