• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Should Babe Ruth have his number retired...

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
July 11 2014 will be the 100th anniversary of Babe Ruth's first game in the Majors. I think it's a shame that his number hasn't been retired league wide yet. If anyone in any sport should have their number retired universally, it should be Ruth.

Thoughts?

TORHABSFAN

Personally I am not in favour of league wide number retirements. No disrespect to the Babe, like you said if anyone is worthy it's him. I just don't like it by rule. I think it's stupid that Gretzky's number is retired league wide in the NHL too.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
Bizzy said:
July 11 2014 will be the 100th anniversary of Babe Ruth's first game in the Majors. I think it's a shame that his number hasn't been retired league wide yet. If anyone in any sport should have their number retired universally, it should be Ruth.

Thoughts?
I'm all for it, but I can see why others might have an issue with numbers being retired in sports

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its funny there was an article in the St Louis paper the other day how its getting tougher and tougher for the Cardinals with so many low numbers retired already. #3 is actually one the Cardinals have not retired yet...I think they'd vote no on this idea just because of that haha

But myself personally I think its a fine idea. Robinson's 42 is retired so why not the greatest baseball player of all the times?

SoberJaysFan

If Ruth's number was retired, a lot of people would wonder why not Willie Mays' too? I go back and forth on Ruth and Mays when it comes to "greatest ever". Mays' 24 was also worn by legends like Griffey, Bonds and Rickey Henderson. The list isn't as impressive for Ruth's 3 (though Griffey did wear it for 3 years).

I'd say retire both. 3 and 24.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
If MLB thought so much of Robinson why think of the one player who literally saved baseball from utter destruction? Nn other play would have this done to their numbers because MLB would need to make it clear that these two honors are above HOF records, and baseball records themselves. Its about the cut above the game that no other two players have ever done since, and will never do again.