Should Australia become a Republic?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This is a pretty simple question, but it can have some different answers.

In your opinion should Australia become a Republic?

If you yes, please give explanation, same thing if the answer no.

Discuss.

2. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't think this thread will go anywhere because we don't really care that much about our politics lol

3. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Im curious to know why a Canadian decided to ask this question of Australia and not Canada?

To answer; No I dont think Australia should become a Republic, I dont see what it would gain from such a move.

4. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We are pretty much a republic anyway, we have our own laws and rules and we do whatever we want. The monarchy does nothing for Australia. But then again, I would like to see Australia become a republic

Foreign debt. As a country under the reign of Elizabeth II, we pay a certain amount of million dollars a year in tribute to her. Becoming a republic would remove this payment from our national Budget and free up money that could be spent on education, or health, or the environment.

Meaning no disrespect to Elizabeth, but we have more important things to worry about.

This.

5. Bananas

The monarchy does a lot more than nothing. Her role involves official functions and duties, and also the charity work is huge. It could also be argued that a good monarchy is a monarchy that does nothing, for a monarch that never has to exercise their powers means all is well in governance.

Why would you like to replace a person who has served you for a lifetime and replace them with power hungry elitists who get voted in and office every few years depending on public favour?

I must correct you it would not remove this payment, all you would do is pay someone else to do it instead and it would probably cost more, if you compare the cost of the monarchy to somewhere like the Presidency of Germany or Italy, and also compare the effectiveness of these roles you soon realise the monarchy is good value for money. (I bet you'd struggle to name the President of Germany also, I would!)

The only other option to remove the payment would be to remove the role, but then every role has a role in society and the cost of that role more often than not reaps rewards in sectors such as the promotion of education, health and the environment. The Queen has done a good job for 58 years(plus the rest), the heir apparent has also done tremendous work, it seems a strange concept to rid them of office to try and save a few pennies. If anything I'd go as far to say they are the most qualified people in the world for the role as ambassadors, patrons, representatives and as general symbolic figures, its one of the biggest mistakes I think the French ever did was get rid their of their monarch, it all kind of went downhill from there.

6. Vidic15

How has she served us? She appears on our money and gave us Commonwealth games.

7. Bananas

She is the head of State.

It is not just a title but a role, the whole constitution, parliamentary framework, legal system, armed forces and many other aspects of society is influenced through her reign.

8. Vidic15

Mind you, she doesn't control our army or our laws. She does have the Governor General and Governor here for the parliamentary stuff.

9. Bananas

The Commander-in-Chief of the ADF is the Queen (although the GG acts on here behalf).

....your legal system is that of a constitutional monarchy. She does not control the law, she is the law.