Should athletes have the choice?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

As you all may know after athletes play in their respecting sport they have to talk to the media. Some of them actually get fined if they don't.

Should athletes have the choice weather or not they can talk to the media or not without getting fined?

Personally I think they do. If I was an athlete on a professional team and I was coming off a huge lost(especially if the playoffs) last thing I want to do is talk to the media. I'd probably get more fined by the cussing that I would do in that interview then missing an appointment with them.

Thoughts?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well the league sets the rules for this. If the athlete signs something that says they will talk to the media (which is generally done when they sign their big contracts) then I think they should be held to it.

The leagues don't want people who are going to come across as sore losers, bad sports, etc. I agree with the league when they ask people to talk to the media. In the end, they signed something that said they would so if they don't they deserve to get the fine.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Sorry but these guys are mostly all competetive, I wouldn't consider them sore losers.

When I was playing Basketball and Baseball in high school I hated losing, and if we did end up losing I didn't really want to talk to anyone because all I wanted to do is win. Now I don't consider myself a sore loser, I just hate losing and these athletes are the same way.

I know they sign contracts, but personally I don't believe it should be printed in contracts in the first place.

4. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I don't think they should HAVE to talk to the media after games. If they want to, that's fine, so yes, they should have the choice. You don't belong in any sports league if you aren't a bit upset after a big loss. And when a mic is forced into your face, you're going to say something that'll cost you a couple grand from time to time.

5. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

It's a job. If it's printed in their contracts and are being paid millions of dollars...then they can do as their contracts state. No one forced them to sign it. We all have aspects of our jobs that we hate, you just have to suck it up and do it.

If it is not in a written contract from their employer...then by all means, it's their choice.

6. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I agree with Hybrix and Anita on this one. It's written in their contracts, they signed. They're getting paid millions of dollars to play a game, the least they can do is talk to the media.

7. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

If players wouldn't have to do it, then I'm sure the coaches would say they didn't have to do it.. and then we wouldn't get priceless videos like this.

YouTube - Dennis Green Goes Nuts

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    Major likes this.
  8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Like it's been said, unless it's in their contract stating they don't have to, I think athletes should be required to speak to the media, especially the better players since more attention will be focused on them.

9. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I think it's fair to have it in a contract saying that player's have to talk to the media.

I mean, the channels that show the matches on TV fund the leagues and the participating teams in a huge way. I'd say a good chunk of these players wages come from the media, so it's only fair that they get to demand an interview or two after the game to show their viewers.