• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should athletes/celebrities be role models

knickstape2107

Registered Member
Misha Mayhem said:
knickstape2107 said:
I know I see the negative things they do. At the end of the day, though, nobody's going to shape me, but me. I know that I don't wanna do some of the stuff that they've done. I only wanna succeed and do the positive like they've done. Tbh, my mom and dad were probably my two biggest role models and still are. They taught me right from wrong and are still here to guide me. Anyway, I do look up to JR Smith but there are others, too, who don't do all of the negatives that he does. That was just one of my role models.
Props on being more level-headed than most people your age.
Thanks.

Sabby

They can be role models for hard work, and dedication to one's craft. However, I don't think they need to be automatically labelled as role models. Thye are public figures, there is a difference. A role model should be someone who does good for others. It can be a parent, a friend, hell a random guy who saves a kid from a burning building. Those are role models. If an athlete chooses to be a role model great, if not that's fine too. As long as they're not killing, raping and robbing, theya re entitled to their own personal choices. There is a responsability when being in the limelight, but they are paid to play, not paid to be shining examples of how to live one's life. Just my two cents

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
Sabby said:
They can be role models for hard work, and dedication to one's craft. However, I don't think they need to be automatically labelled as role models. Thye are public figures, there is a difference. A role model should be someone who does good for others. It can be a parent, a friend, hell a random guy who saves a kid from a burning building. Those are role models. If an athlete chooses to be a role model great, if not that's fine too. As long as they're not killing, raping and robbing, theya re entitled to their own personal choices. There is a responsability when being in the limelight, but they are paid to play, not paid to be shining examples of how to live one's life. Just my two cents
Eh, that's true. I had this talk with a friend before. Celebs and athletes don't always go into their craft, to be role models. However, they should be aware that they could potentially be. I think it's on both sides--those possible role models to watch what they say/do, and for those looking up to them to pick and choose who they idolize, more carefully. I do tend to look up more to my IRL role models, though.