• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should athletes/celebrities be role models

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A lot of people(especially kids) look up to celebrities and athletes. Do you think that those celebrities/athletes should be role models for these people?

Crypticshock

Registered Member
The more important question, why do people have to look towards famous people for their role model? How about a relative or someone within their community that does good?

Americas fascination with celebrities is vomit inducing. Use the Kardashians as an example.

smh122

Registered Member
Everyone is a role model is some aspect whether they like it or not. That being said, just because they are on tv, doesn't mean society should hold them up to a higher standard. They bleed just like the rest of us. Sometimes, living up to the standards is why they fall so hard. Alot of pressure trying to please millions/billions around the world with your behavior 24/7 and still please those who really care about you. Those standards dont always line up

But at the end of the day, the best role model is experience. and it doesn't always have to be yours

Always depends on who you're looking up to, though.

Not sure that Justin Bieber, Lindsay Lohan or the Kardashians are the best role models for any kid. Same applies to athletes. In the end, it's all about how they portray themselves in public and for what they stand for. I think that in general, teenagers quickly get a grip on who they should really look at to build their self-esteem and a positive attitude. There are sadly always exceptions to the rule and more often than not, we spend too much time on them rather than looking at the good cases.

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
I don't think it's a cut-and-dry question, that can be definitively answered with "yes" or "no." I think that it depends on the athlete or celebrity. For me, some of my role models are Morgan Spurlock, Ryan Buell, Jinxi Boo Caddell, Kevin Smith, Natalya, and kind of James Finn Garner, just to name a few. They're all pretty decent human beings, in my opinion. But there are some celebrities and athletes that I think aren't really good role models, because of actions or attitudes, like Miley Cyrus,for example. And for athelete, Pineda would be a bad role model, because he's a cheater. Orton, in my opinion, shouldn't be one, because he's a military deserter. Who would want to be like that?

knickstape2107

Registered Member
I'm 14 and look up to a lot of athletes and celebrities as role models. I think it's fine to look up to them. They've succeeded, so why not? As odd as it sounds, JR Smith is one of my role models. I know he does a lot of stupid stuff and isn't usually the one to be looked at as a role model, but he has overcome a lot of hate to get to where is at now. A few years ago, no one saw him getting here. He won Sixth Man of the Year, got a huge contract, and has helped us win. And even though he makes stupid decisions at times, I look up to him. Obviously, I don't want to make some of the mistakes he made, but he's one of my role models. Also, though he's not one of my role models, I think Justin Bieber is a good role model, too. He does a lot for his fans, charity, and helps a lot of people. Maybe it's just because I usually look at the positive rather than the negative, though.

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
knickstape2107 said:
I'm 14 and look up to a lot of athletes and celebrities as role models. I think it's fine to look up to them. They've succeeded, so why not? As odd as it sounds, JR Smith is one of my role models. I know he does a lot of stupid stuff and isn't usually the one to be looked at as a role model, but he has overcome a lot of hate to get to where is at now. A few years ago, no one saw him getting here. He won Sixth Man of the Year, got a huge contract, and has helped us win. And even though he makes stupid decisions at times, I look up to him. Obviously, I don't want to make some of the mistakes he made, but he's one of my role models. Also, though he's not one of my role models, I think Justin Bieber is a good role model, too. He does a lot for his fans, charity, and helps a lot of people. Maybe it's just because I usually look at the positive rather than the negative, though.
But if you only look at someone's positive stuff, you tend to overlook the very, very negative stuff that they do... like Justin Bieber and all of his wrong moves. It's okay to look up to them because they're successful, but I think that you should also consider how they got there. If it involves them being major assholes or doing bad things, even for a time, that it's time to consider getting better role models. But like you said, you're only 14. As you get older, you'll see what I mean, and start to shift in what you consider to be a role model. I'm not meaning that condescendingly... just as a fact. I know that 15 years ago, when I was 14, who I looked up to, was a lot different than I look up to now.

knickstape2107

Registered Member
I know I see the negative things they do. At the end of the day, though, nobody's going to shape me, but me. I know that I don't wanna do some of the stuff that they've done. I only wanna succeed and do the positive like they've done. Tbh, my mom and dad were probably my two biggest role models and still are. They taught me right from wrong and are still here to guide me. Anyway, I do look up to JR Smith but there are others, too, who don't do all of the negatives that he does. That was just one of my role models.

Misha Mayhem

Registered Member
knickstape2107 said:
I know I see the negative things they do. At the end of the day, though, nobody's going to shape me, but me. I know that I don't wanna do some of the stuff that they've done. I only wanna succeed and do the positive like they've done. Tbh, my mom and dad were probably my two biggest role models and still are. They taught me right from wrong and are still here to guide me. Anyway, I do look up to JR Smith but there are others, too, who don't do all of the negatives that he does. That was just one of my role models.
Props on being more level-headed than most people your age.