• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should all protests be banned?

Should all protests be banned?

• Total voters

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It seems everytime there's a protest, violence is not to far behind. Would you be against banning all protests?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
wtf are you serious? Ban protests? Where? That would be completely ridiculous.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
No, protesting is a fundamental right of any free person.

Instead, I just choose to personally disrespect any and all persons who partake in protest, since half of them do it out of purely egocentric self-interest and don't know their face from their own arse on any bigger issues related to what they're protesting, and the other half just want to riot and destroy things.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
wtf are you serious? Ban protests? Where? That would be completely ridiculous.
I never said I was for banning protests, I'm just posing the question to other members on the forums to see what they think of the subject in hand.

I personally believe banning protests would be a terrible idea, no matter where it's done. That said, I believe some people take advantage of it to much, and abuse it. Take the G20 that happened in Toronto this past summer.

Daemonic

Registered Member
If we went around banning everything that people or even someone had a violent reaction to we would have much less freedom.

I voted no.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I understand that you're just raising the question to get opinions, but I seriously doubt that anyone here is going to say yes, ban all protests because our freedom to protest is not worth the potential violence that may arise at a protest.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Absolutely not... peaceful protesting is among the key rights that makes us free.

Now, I do agree that those who cause violence at protests should be arrested. Nobody has the right to do that and get away with it.

Raos

Registered Member
Things should not be banned because some people will use those things to break the law. Punish the illegal behavior. Do not make things illegal to prevent other illegal things from happening.

Do not ban guns because people can use them to kill or commit crimes. The crimes are already illegal.
Do not ban drugs because people may do illegal things while on drugs such as robbing or killing or whatever. Those actions are already illegal.

Let the people who are going to protest responsibly have that freedom and punish those who use that freedom to commit crimes. Do not punish the innocent for what the guilty may do.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Things should not be banned because some people will use those things to break the law. Punish the illegal behavior. Do not make things illegal to prevent other illegal things from happening.

[...]

Do not punish the innocent for what the guilty may do.
In this particular case I agree, but that argument is not universal; in many cases, you are punishing the innocent more by not addressing the root issue. Take drunk driving: the same argument says we should only prosecute drunk drivers when someone dies as a result, so that 'innocent' persons can drive at their own discretion and not have to worry about it. Frankly, I'd rather give up my right to drive drunk, than have my children driving with an even higher risk to their lives in traffic.

Raos

Registered Member
I do not think that is analogous. What would be more analogous would be to say that we would not make drinking alcohol illegal because some may get behind the wheel and do harm. Let those who will drink responsibly be able to drink. Do not take their alcohol away because others may hurt someone when they drink. Punish those who would hurt someone (drunk drivers, people who get abusive, etc.).