Should all Americans speak english?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by generalblue, Apr 7, 2008.

1. generalblue

generalblue Where is my Queen?

I have a question that I go back and forth to myself everyday. Should there be a law that the only way to become an American citizen is to be fluent in English? In Canada, to be a citizen you have to be able to speak English or French. Why can't we do that here? I know it would go against our founding fathers, but we already made them turn in there graves quite a few times. I work in a call center in the sales department, and everyday I speak to people that don't know a lick of English. Whether they be spanish, french, russian, you name it. They expect for us to bend over backwards and try to understand them and you can't. You go to Mexico and they don't care if you can't speak spanish. That also goes for some parts of Europe as well. To reduce the illegal immigrants coming to America I believe that we should have some kind of law. I don't know how others feel, but this is how I feel. I want to hear some of your opinions.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think it's reasonable. With the amount of immigrants we have coming in and the people who live here already, we need common forms of communication. We go soft and allow people to keep their language and insist on getting translators and such rather than requiring at least a grasp of English.

3. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Yes, I agree people should. Many people would argue that it's racist to force somebody to learn a language to be able to enter a country, but I don't. If you want to function in society and make it more comfortable to be around people, you should AT LEAST be able to speak the language.

4. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Consider your own freedom. You may not see yourself moving to a nation which doesn't speak English, but wouldn't you like the freedom to do so if you so pleased? If you knew that the nation you wanted to live in, for whatever reason, had sizable areas in which English was frequently used and English speakers were commonly accommodated for, would you find it reasonable to be kept out of that place because it's part of a larger nation that spoke mostly e.g. Russian?

5. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

It's perfectly logical that in a nation of mostly English speakers, and of a sufficient size that very few of the entrenched residents are passably bilingual or multilingual, learning English is sensible.

However, "should" as it is used here is far too vague. Are we talking about sensible assimilation, or are we talking about the legal and political accommodation for non-English speakers in America?

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I do see why it would be beneficial for us but you have to remember that we don't have a national language and never have. I, personally, believe that you can speak any language you choose as it falls under freedom of speech.

7. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

There shouldn't be a law or anything forcing this, but if you're in America speak English.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

To be an American citizen, of course! BUT then not every foreigner residing temporarily or permanently have acquired citizenship or desire to be an American citizen. I don't think the English language should be forced on them (nor should they force their own language on people over there). I would encourage it though because not knowing the language does put them in disadvantageous position (limited job opportunities, difficulty in handling affairs, pixxing others who don't understand them, etc.).

9. Brandon77

Brandon77 Registered Member

Yes. Simply put. To give immigrants the impression that they can make it in America without English is to do them a terrible disservice. English is the business language of the world, and people in America need to have a grasp on it to make it. That is the harsh reality. That doesn't mean they have to abandon all the culture they come from, but it is customary to learn the language of the place where one lives.

10. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

Agreed. I dont see how people can hold language so close that they refuse to abandon it even when it restricts their life opportunities.