• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should Algebra II be required in HS?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The state that started a trend by making high school students tackle algebra II is now abandoning the policy in a move praise by school districts for affording more flexibility. But some policy experts are nervous because nearly 20 states have followed Texas' lead in requiring the vigorous course.
Supporters say fewer course mandates give students more time to focus on vocational training for high-paying jobs that don't necessarily require a college degree, such as at Toyota's factory in San Antonio or oil and chemical giant BASF's facilities on the Gulf Coast.

Trend-starting Texas drops algebra II mandate
Texas is backing off of requiring Algebra II in high school. I'm not sure they should require it but should make it known to students that plan on college they should take it. Others might want to spend their time learning a trade because not everyone can or in some cases should go to college. If its not required then everyone is free to take a course more suited to what their goals are in life.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It absolutely needs to be required. College Algebra is completely based off of the principals you learn in Algebra II. We'd be setting up students for future failure.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree with Steve that it should be required, not only to prepare them better for college, but also this country is falling behind other countries in math.

dDave

V.I.P.
Our students graduate handicapped enough. Algebra is not hard even for people that suck at math like myself.

There's so much math in the real world, it would hurt society and future college students. I could never support dropping Algebra II from HS.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
To be honest I didn't realize most states didn't require it. These are the only states that do requires it and a couple more are going to start.

From the article.

Graduation rates in Indiana also didn't dip with increased standards, she said.
Both states require algebra II, as do Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee and Utah.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Maybe rather than dropping it they could make it optional? Like an after school extra credit class for those who know they're going to need it in college?

Personally, I've never used algebra since leaving high school.

dDave

V.I.P.
Maybe rather than dropping it they could make it optional? Like an after school extra credit class for those who know they're going to need it in college?

Personally, I've never used algebra since leaving high school.
The only problem with that is that most high school students are pretty dumb and would much rather do anything else (such as sports, video games, work, hang out, etc.) than go to math after school hours.

Should we drop English as well? Everyone that goes to high school speaks English, right? Why continue to study it? There's a pretty strong possibility that

Math isn't even necessarily about just doing math problems and directly using that material later on in life. It also helps with left brain development in general which is great for logic, reasoning, problem solving skills, etc. That's invaluable later on in life.