Should adoptions be between children and families of the same race and or culture?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by RJ-Cool, Jul 8, 2010.

1. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Some people think that if you want to adopt a child it would be less stressful for the child if you or your significant other look somewhat like the child. A child needs to know about their cultural heritage because it is an important part of who they are and this sometimes play an integral role in who they will become. Some people who adopt children ignore this fact and have no idea what they could be doing to hurt that child in the long run. So, my question is...........

Should adoptions be between children and families of the same race and or culture? (explain your answer)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010

2. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

No, it doesn't have to be. While it might be preferable, it shouldn't be mandatory. The child will not be hurt in the wrong run for knowing some other culture. Why should he know about his biological race's culture? Of what use is it? Isn't it sufficient if he grows up to be a decent human being?

3. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

I agree with you that such adoption should not be mandatory and also that learning another culture might not necessarily cause him harm in the long run.
    As per your questions:

Why should he know about his biological race's culture?
    It is his right to know about his racial culture; it's his heritage, his ethnic identity; the link that connects him to his very origin; his past and previous generations. A child can be influenced to adapt another culture but he should not be denied the understanding of his very own.

Of what use is it?

In order for him to understand and fully appreciate who he is, he must grasp an understanding of his past; where he's from; his race, because it is an important part of who he is. This will help in his general outlook on himself, life and others. This will also affect how he interacts with others of his own race; how sensitive he is to their issues, needs...etc. as opposed to being ignorant/oblivious to his origin.
    I believe if a couple is going to adopt a kid from another race/culture, they should at least garner a bit of knowledge about that child's race/culture in order to adequately meet all his needs.

4. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

I do agree that it shouldn't be mandatory that they are the same ethnic background, or of the same culture or the same color.

I do believe that the child should be taught of their own heritage/culture though. Say a family here adopts a child from Haiti because of the disaster. Once they're old enough, they should be taught about their own land and their own culture, just so they know.

RJ-Cool likes this.
  5. jdndfw

jdndfw Registered Member

I say race or culture doesn't matter in adoption. love, commitment to the well-being of the child. nurturing, sacrifice for the childs future and advantages. that is what is important. teach the kid how to be a better person than you are just like everyone else does with their biological children. be committed to giving he/she a better life than you had. that is what matters. experiencing all the diversity of the world is great but the fundamentals of life are what matters.

6. Daemonic

Daemonic Registered Member

No, I'm adopted and not by parents of the same race or culture. I never found myself under stress because I don't look like my parent in my 26 years of life, ever. I also have never had any interest whatsoever in the "culture" of my blood parents. One thing that annoys me is when people that are not adopted try and dictate how adoptions should work and try to explain how the adopted will feel. I'm happy with my parents, don't tell me what is best for adopted children when I am one.

7. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

I have to disagree with your statement here, Im pretty sure those who plan to adopt or have adopted already know the dangers of exposing their children to a society that normally wouldn't be there own had their original parents raised them. A source for me would be my ex's sister. Her family (white) adopted Lily, an Asian child from China 4 years ago and she goes to china at least once a year to see her twin sister (adopted and lives in California with her family).

But as for you question, I don't think it should matter if the adpoting parents are the same ethnicity or share the same culture, as long as the child will be love and protected for his/her life then that should matter in the long run.

~Shwa

8. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

Race has nothing to do with culture. If you're parents are from culture A, but you're adopted and raised by parents in culture B, then culture B is yours. There's no connection to culture A and no harm in the child not growing up in it. If the child grows up and wants to return to culture A, that's perfectly fine, but it was never intrinsically "their" culture.

9. hezekiah

hezekiah Registered Member

In the UK, I believe that you can only adopt a child of the same race/colour. This is simply to protect a child and allow them to understand what their identity is. This allows them to neatly fit into peer groups when they are older. Mixed adoptions can cause (not in all cases) identity issues which can make a child on outsider.

I do agree though that mixed adoptions should be accepted everywhere, but its good to look it at from the childs point.

10. Crouton

Crouton Ninja V.I.P. Lifetime

I think you should be able to adopt and raise a child of any race you want, in the end as long as the person is loved, cared for and looked after properly then it doesn't matter. I know two Asian girls who were both raised by caucasian families. They are now both grown and have never had any issues with being Asian and raised in a white family.