Hockey Should a win be 3 points?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This is something that has bothered me about the NHL regular season for a while. Why aren't wins worth 3 points instead of 2 the way they are in soccer? If you can get a point for LOSING a game in overtime, shouldn't there be more of a reward for actually WINNING a game? Two overtime losses should not equal a win. I mean, you could theoretically win only five or six games and lose the other 76 in overtime and be right in playoff contention. 3 points would put a lot more emphasis on winning games.

Why not do it like this:

3 points for a regulation win
2 points for an overtime/shootout win
1 point for an overtime/shootout loss
0 points for a regulation loss

Last edited:

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
I really like this, but with one exception. I would give 3 points for a regulation and overtime win and 0 points for an overtime loss, that way it is more like the playoffs. I really don't like that you get the full 2 points right now for a shootout win.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I really like this, but with one exception. I would give 3 points for a regulation and overtime win and 0 points for an overtime loss, that way it is more like the playoffs. I really don't like that you get the full 2 points right now for a shootout win.
I would actually prefer that over what I suggested. I never liked there being a point for overtime losses. But then I would probably rather have the games end in ties after overtime. So 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 for a loss. Same as soccer.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
Yeah, I think the shootout needs to be done away with. If that happens, then overtime should be 8-10 minutes, with the first half being 4 on 4 and the second half being 3 on 3, which is something the general managers have talked about extensively.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I definitely like this idea. I think it would really vamp up those close games because teams wouldn't get complacent in an imminent tie situation. They'd play hard. I think it'd be an interesting thing to try in the NHL. We'd probably get a better sense of which teams are more skilled by the end of the season with a more intense scoring system.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't watch hockey like I used to but I want to start again. I like this idea a lot. This makes more sense than the way it is now. I don't like getting 2 points for a shootout win either.

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
This suggestion below by Old Major is something I've mentioned to people countless times

3 points for a regulation win
2 points for an overtime/shootout win
1 point for an overtime/shootout loss
0 points for a regulation loss

I love the shootout and I think overtime losses or shootout losses garnering a point is a good idea too, I'd definitely keep that as is.