• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hockey Should a win be 3 points?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This is something that has bothered me about the NHL regular season for a while. Why aren't wins worth 3 points instead of 2 the way they are in soccer? If you can get a point for LOSING a game in overtime, shouldn't there be more of a reward for actually WINNING a game? Two overtime losses should not equal a win. I mean, you could theoretically win only five or six games and lose the other 76 in overtime and be right in playoff contention. 3 points would put a lot more emphasis on winning games.

Why not do it like this:

3 points for a regulation win
2 points for an overtime/shootout win
1 point for an overtime/shootout loss
0 points for a regulation loss

Last edited:

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
I really like this, but with one exception. I would give 3 points for a regulation and overtime win and 0 points for an overtime loss, that way it is more like the playoffs. I really don't like that you get the full 2 points right now for a shootout win.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I really like this, but with one exception. I would give 3 points for a regulation and overtime win and 0 points for an overtime loss, that way it is more like the playoffs. I really don't like that you get the full 2 points right now for a shootout win.
I would actually prefer that over what I suggested. I never liked there being a point for overtime losses. But then I would probably rather have the games end in ties after overtime. So 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 for a loss. Same as soccer.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
Yeah, I think the shootout needs to be done away with. If that happens, then overtime should be 8-10 minutes, with the first half being 4 on 4 and the second half being 3 on 3, which is something the general managers have talked about extensively.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I definitely like this idea. I think it would really vamp up those close games because teams wouldn't get complacent in an imminent tie situation. They'd play hard. I think it'd be an interesting thing to try in the NHL. We'd probably get a better sense of which teams are more skilled by the end of the season with a more intense scoring system.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't watch hockey like I used to but I want to start again. I like this idea a lot. This makes more sense than the way it is now. I don't like getting 2 points for a shootout win either.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This suggestion below by Old Major is something I've mentioned to people countless times

3 points for a regulation win
2 points for an overtime/shootout win
1 point for an overtime/shootout loss
0 points for a regulation loss

I love the shootout and I think overtime losses or shootout losses garnering a point is a good idea too, I'd definitely keep that as is.