• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Should a Good Workout be Enjoyable?

Should a Good Workout be Enjoyable?

• Total voters

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Should a good workout be enjoyable? I find that often times I do not enjoy working out at all. I do appreciate a good workout AFTER it's over but I generally do not look forward to working out. I also do not generally enjoy the workout one bit. Ok who am I kidding, there is absolutely nothing fun about the actual time I spend working out.

I sort of have a philosophy that if the workout was fun you probably could have gone a lot harder.

What do you think? Should a good workout be enjoyable?

Last edited:

BigBob

Registered Member
I think if you enjoy it, then you're not really doing anything for yourself. It means you're going to easy on yourself, at least IMO. So pretty much the same way you think.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I disagree, I think that a good workout can and probably should be enjoyable. I enjoy my workouts and I see a difference in the shape of my body so I know that I'm doing myself some good. If I wasn't enjoying it I probably wouldn't keep doing it. It's really difficult to get up an hour earlier than I need to in order to work out, but because I enjoy it, I do it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Every work out are enjoyable for me and should be the same for everyone else in my opinion. I'm not always in the mood to work out, but I do because I know it will help me in the long run.

You work out for a good reason, and that should be enough to make it enjoyable.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I disagree, I think that a good workout can and probably should be enjoyable. I enjoy my workouts and I see a difference in the shape of my body so I know that I'm doing myself some good. If I wasn't enjoying it I probably wouldn't keep doing it. It's really difficult to get up an hour earlier than I need to in order to work out, but because I enjoy it, I do it.
I can see your point. Are you doing aerobic workouts? I tend to enjoy those a LOT more than things like lifting or doing ab routines, which I almost always hate.

I usually end my workout each day with 15 minutes on a stationary bike and that is always my favorite part. For some reason aerobic stuff is easier for me to get in the "zone" with, if that makes sense.
------
You work out for a good reason, and that should be enough to make it enjoyable.
That is not enough to make it enjoyable but it's definitely enough to get me to suffer through it. :lol:

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I can see your point. Are you doing aerobic workouts? I tend to enjoy those a LOT more than things like lifting or doing ab routines, which I almost always hate.

I usually end my workout each day with 15 minutes on a stationary bike and that is always my favorite part. For some reason aerobic stuff is easier for me to get in the "zone" with, if that makes sense.
------
I've been doing the EA Sports Active personal trainer for the Wii. It combines aerobic and strength training. I'll admit that I hate kickups and squat holds, but overall it's a great workout.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
A good work out is never enjoyable [IMO].
When working out we should use our minds. Most people train unconsciously, disengaging their minds as they work out and they do what's more convenient to them.

Working out needs lots of effort, and efforts are mostly not enjoyable because you just get tired.
An enjoyable work out doesn't help you reach your goals though it may help you work your way through a session.

Working out is not going for a walk thus I never find it enjoyable. But I HAVE to do it.

That's just me though.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think the best workouts are the ones that are only enjoyable after you're finished. I like to push my body to the max when I work out, and it's not always fun. I guess it depends on the type of workout. I agree with Hybrix that aerobic workouts are a little easier since you can get into a rhythm. I do enjoy torturing myself on the stationary bike, but I do not look forward to difficult ab workouts.

JessEpiphany

Registered Member
I feel the same way.

Quite a few years ago I used to jog and as of the last month I've been trying to get back into it because I simply loved jogging.
I look forward to my jog because that's time to myself. It's time for me to clear my head.
And when I'm done, I usually feel pretty good about myself for having done it, especially if I've increased either my speed or my distance.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've been doing the EA Sports Active personal trainer for the Wii. It combines aerobic and strength training. I'll admit that I hate kickups and squat holds, but overall it's a great workout.
Ah ok. See that is different though. I definitely don't have an option to have any sort of fun during the workouts I do unless I am mentally able to just decide that they are fun. I haven't quite figured that out yet, so for now I will just continue hating them. :lol: